IS IT POSSIBLE TO MOVE A KID OUT OF STATE?!?

My boyfriend lives in Michigan and I live in Pennsylvania. We both have a kid with different people. We want to move in together. His baby’s mother is nowhere near stable and he’s going for full custody. He’d have to come down here to PA. Is it possible for him to move him and the kid down to PA?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Depends on the outcome of the custody hearings. He can move, he is just still required to abide by the court order.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

The custody process has to complete and he has to get approval from the courts. The child's mother's stability doesn't matter, she's the child's mother and if she wants to see the child even if the father gets full custody she will still have visitation rights that the father must follow.

He has to let the domestic relations section for custody know of his plans to move and ask them about it. He can't just up and leave with the child and remove the child from the possibility of seeing his/her mother. Full custody doesn't mean the parent who's been granted full custody can do whatever they want and the other parent has no say or rights. Both parents always have rights regardless of the custody battle's outcome. There is usually always visitation.

What are the risks if he does just move?

A lot is possible. It depends what the mother does.

He could be placed in contempt of court for violating the court order removing the ability for child and mother's visitation(s). He could be charged with obduction or kidnapping. All 3 are jail time.

That's real bad stuff that's best avoided. All he has to do is contact domestics and ask how to go about moving without any possible consequences.

• Sally
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

It depends on what the custody arrangements are. If he has full custody, then yes. If not, he would have to work it out with the mother.

• `
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Read your custody agreement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

It would depend on who has full custody, or majority custody.  That is for the court to decide.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Is it possible? Yes... if the other parent agrees.

If there is a court order, it will say something about getting approval for a move out of the area. If there isn't a court order, the other parent can contest the move.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

HELL NO ! That is called parental kidnapping. UNLESS he has full custody with the mother having no visitation rights.

• ...Show all comments
    • dalina10 months agoReport

Okay. I was just asking a question you have no right to rude. I have no idea how this stuff works so I was just trying to figure things out. Thank you have a nice day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.