promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

does modern vinyl sounds as good as old vinyl?

they say vinyl is back out now and you can get old music on vinyl like the way you used to long ago...but as an old fashioned guy who is generation x, i feel biased and prejudiced against anything ''new'', i tend to hate anything modern and new including digital music.

unfortunately i lost all my old vinyl over the passage of time..

i want to know here, if you get music on modern vinyl now, does it sound as good as the old vinyl did?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

The thing is, “good” is subjective. I'm old too but so far as sound goes I'd have a decent CD over a record any day.

To answer your question, there are three main issues:

1/ In the “old days” when records were the only way for most people to listen to decent quality music the people involved in mixing, mastering, operating the cutting lathe, pressing etc. were experts with maybe decades of experience. Those people are long gone and, with maybe a few exceptions, there are no people around now with much experience.

2/ Records were made for discerning listeners with reasonably good quality equipment (of course, that doesn't apply to all record buyers in the 60s or 70s but that was the type of consumer they aimed at). Nowadays, and I mean no offence here, the “typical record buyer” is a young kid with a Crossley record player who has never heard decent music reproduction and is used to listening to MP3s on a cheap set of ear-buds. It's also these younger people who are gullible enough to pay the ridiculous prices records sell at.

3/ Nowadays most music is recorded digitally. Old master tapes have been re-mastered and “digitised”. This means that just about every possible negative is present: the original tape noise with be there, any advantage offered by an analogue recording (real or imagined) is gone, because it's a digital recording now. It's then transferred (possibly badly) to a record so that the surface noise, wow and flutter and clicks and pops are added to all of this.

So I'd say that in most cases records now are not as “good” as they were when there was no alternative for most people.

• Danny
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Mr. X, hello from a Boomer who's been playing recorded music since about 1958. The main thing is the quality of what playback equipment is used, from a plastic box stuffed with PCB's and transistors to a handcrafted tube powered rig that costs as much as a new car. Meanwhile, like something made of spun glass, every time you pull a vinyl disc and play it, it gets more worn and damaged. 

So you can end up with anything from a fine record that sounds poor on a poor system, to an average (i.e. nicked and poppy) record faithfully played on a fine rig. I'm not interested in the best of everything, because it costs too much. CD's are far more reasonable, and quite good enough most of the time. For real quality, go for live music.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Yep, you still get the same clicks, pops, dynamic compression and all the other imperfections as you did with the old crappy wax

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Exactly!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.