Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 10 months ago

Is it dangerous to work overnight shift then morning right after?

I’m a Bellman and working night shift today. However the Am coworker tends to call out on Mondays. So I’m afraid that he’d do that and I have to cover his shift from 7-3pm. Im also driving and I think it’s dangerous for me driving home by the end of second shift. Can I refuse to work if he calls out?

Favorite Answer

Just don't answer the phone. The other guy is the problem and it's up to management to correct it, not you. After a manager fills the deficient shift a few times, things will change.

• JetDoc

Certainly, you CAN refuse to work. Of course, your boss can refuse to continue your employment too.

Lots of people work double shifts when the need arises. If you don't feel safe driving home after working a double, then it's YOUR responsibility to find alternate transportation. .

A bellman? You mean a doorman? The guy who just stands around all day? You can nap standing. Drink a coffee or Energy drink or both & that should keep you buzzed. One double shift is not going to kill you.

• Anton

If you don't want to work, start drinking. They cannot call you in if you are drunk.

• Sandy

it's called doing a double (shift). It won't kill you. If you can get a 30 min nap in between shifts, you'll get your 2nd wind and be able to do the day shift. Get sleep when you get home though. BTW how do you think people who have two jobs cope?

yes. it's dangerous. you should never drive if you're tired. at worst you can demand a hotel room.