Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 10 months ago

Does this mean that they are aware of my hypnagogia (or lucid dreaming) and are trying to spite me or deprive me of sleep?

Sometimes, at night, I would go into a state of being half asleep and half awake and what's start having what I think are lucid dreams. Also, recently, I was in a situation where I was being bullied by my roommates the house I was renting out a room in and the landlord just took their side and put me out after I tried to complain about them. Without being able to find somewhere else to stay, I ended up having to move back in with my parents.

Now, I notice that at night when I'm having these lucid dreams, that one of my parents or siblings would go downstairs to the kitchen and start making a lot of loud (repeatedly opening slamming cabinets, repeatedly opening and slamming the microwave, hitting the counters with pots, pans, and ladles, etc.) until I wake up. Then, most of the time, after they wake me up, they would go back to bed. I also remember where I was living before moving back in with my parents, that my roommates used to engage in similar antics at night when I was lucid dreaming and what then go back to the room so laughing after I wake up.

Does this mean that they are monitoring my thoughts thoughts and dreams and deliberately making noise at night just to spite me and possibly deprive me of sleep?

• C

I'll go one further than the previous answerer and posit that none of that noise-making actually happened. You're not as in control of your hypnogogic state as you think you are. Both hearing loud noises, especially banging, ringing and beeps, and feeling deeply persecuted are symptoms of sleep paralysis where you are totally convinced that you're awake - but you're not. Your brain is still more sleeping than waking and you are dreaming that you're awake, even though some parts of the brain that are supposed to be asleep are awake, if that makes any sense. If you film yourself with audio all night every night I think you'll find I'm correct about this, even though you will have nights where you are 100% sure you were awake. Before you convince yourself that aliens are resetting any camera you set up you need to get referred to a sleep specialist and describe your symptoms and the fact that nobody can corroborate your experiences. There is help but accessing it isn't always easy.

• C

See these links, you're not alone:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/symptoms-of-sleep-paralysis-3014781

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sleepparalysis/comments/779np5/loud_noises_from_sleep_paralysis/

Ask your doctor. S/he will know if this is the issue, and develop a plan with you to help you sleep better.

I don't believe that your family is doing this, or that they're able to monitor thoughts. I don't think they would wake up to go do that with the pots and pans on purpose, with the goal of waking anyone up. You might have a pet who gets into the pots and pans at night, or a family member is hungry and makes a late night snack?