Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 5 months ago

What should i do with my spare attic room?

So I'm moving house its a little terraced cottage and I have two attic rooms that I'm not sure what to do with 1 of them will be a spare room but I'm not sure what to do with the other.

It looks a lot like the pic i included minus the beams and it's not as long, the middle (hight) is 5ft 2 so you do have to bend a little

Favorite Answer

Since this is not the actual photo of your room, I am going to assume yours has a dropped ceiling because it is only 5'2" high. Remove the ceiling and raise it so you can stand up in the space.

Otherwise, the only thing you can do in there is sit . Perhaps a library with a comfy chair and good lighting? Maybe a sewing or craft room? A space for floor yoga? Exercise equipment where you do not have to stand?

A children's play room if you have children? A place to store holiday decorations? A storage space for out of season clothing?

• I care

Excellent ideas.

• chris

I have about the same thing in my house!

The stair case is off center, so I walled off the smaller side and added a custom door as a storage room.

The space is 6' at the center and about 12 - 14 wide. my two boys use the larger side as a bedroom / game room for their video games. We got them bean bag chairs and I built short platforms for their beds.

Unfortunately, we only let the oldest boys stay up there. The younger kids are a bit more timid! (We adopted 5 of our foster kids) Now, they are getting too tall for the space and we are looking at moving south so we can get a bigger house.

The room has served many purposes while we have been here and was even our bedroom while we were fostering. I'm 6' tall and I can't tell you how many times I bumped my head or pulled a muscle just getting out of bed for work.

Overall, I would just stress knowing your limitations. I've carried many dressers and bookshelves up there at my Fiancés insistence that they would fit, just to carry them back down, cut the legs off or do some other insane customizing.

My best suggestion,

Carpet the floor, put a flat screen tv on one of the end walls, get a few of those foam things that change from a chair to a sleeping mat and use it as a comfy video game room, a small theater for watching movies or just a convertible spare room for last minute guests.

Maybe a bathroom with just a sink and toilet, and closet.

• I care

Seems the height would handle as a children's play area...…..or a study with desk/bookshelves. good luck.

the horizontal timbers are purlins ..the others are an A frame ...at 5ft 2" its not a habitable space ..and if its in uk a loft is for storage only ..the floor is actually ceiling joist ..not thick enough to take weight ..it was never designed to ..if it was they would be 4" thicker ...and a usable room in loft in uk must have a proper staircase ...a loft ladder wont do ..and as your making it a third storey then fire regs come into play ...stick with storage only

• Shia5 months agoReport

All the terraced cottages in the village are the same all have the same room style, each loft room in mine has 2 windows, it's very intresting reading what you wrote as I don't know much about it all, I am scotland btw

library, art studio, storage, music room, craft room, office, basically anything where you will be doing a lot of sitting--cuz 5'2 isn't that high!

• Shia5 months agoReport

Thankfully I'm only 5'3 so i dont have to bend too much in the middle of the room 🤣

Get rid of the high headboard (or make love to a chainsaw while you chop it as low as the footboard) Or jiggy with a jig saw or skillful with a Skil saw. It should be able to butt up to the vertical wall so there is almost no space behind it and use the wall as the headboard. The one near the window is really a space waster with that curve back. Lose it. You gain another 8"-a foot of usable floor space.. not just a place to collect dust. Circle tables waste space so either put it between the beds or lose it. a square table is better as it can be butted up against the wall. You never need access to all 4 sides. Make a junk room. Leave the fake Christmas tree with the decorations remaining on it and store it there ready for next year. Do not store books(that is like storing bricks or heavy). Whatever, don't make it a FIRE HAZARD. Hobbies, brew beer, shoot porn...whatever . That floor may not be all that strong and you will crash through to the lower floors.

Get rid of the bed headboards.    Do you need an office? Find a reason to have an office.   If that doesn't work, do you need a hobby room.  Find a reason to have a hobby room.  Or a spare extra bed room.   Use the footboard for the headboard and turn the mattress around. Use only the legs/lower portion of the headboard.  Try to not make it into a junk room.

Just seen the hidden bit that says about the headroom, that is going to limit your options. I had a workshop for years that was about the same height, but gave it up when I kept concussing myself.  The best bet is a well-planned storage room that takes the pressure off other areas would be a real asset.

A reading room? A few book cases and a nice comfy chair?

Or a room for whatever hobby you have? People have craft rooms, sewing rooms, etc.