promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why is the “END ROAD WORK” missing an “of” ? Shouldn’t it be “END .of. ROAD WORK”?

Saw this on my walk this morning and it was just the information that I needed to know for the day.

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The sign was probably bought from a company who has ILLEGALS working for them that doesn't know how to make a complete sentence.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

I suppose it's just because, although it would be grammatically correct, the meaning is unambiguous and the less time a driver spends reading a sign means he has more time looking at the road.

• 9 months ago

Joke answer #1) It's a protest sign. It demanding that the government stop doing road work.

Joke answer #2) No, because four words won't fit on the sign (obviously, they could make the sign bigger or write smaller)

Correct answer: Signs don't have to be grammatically correct. And since you have to read them while driving, they have to be as concise as possible. They display only the words needed to convey the meaning; the rest are implied.

• 9 months ago

What about ... END OF THE ROAD WORK?? END ROAD WORK -- I would think most people would understand what that means. By the way, ROAD WORK ENDS or ROAD WORK ENDED is even better.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Signs for drivers need to convey the message in as short a time as possible so the drivers have time to read the sign and get the message. That's the reason why the "Slow Children" sign doesn't say "Slow down. There is a high probability children may step in front of your vehicle."

• 9 months ago

Because it also serves as instructions to the road worker (aka workers of the road).

• 9 months ago

It’s a demand. Apparently some skilled sign maker wants everyone to just put a stop to it.

• 9 months ago

Not interested -- end of .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.