Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

What would you do in this situation? Please help!?

Long story short, I'm a grad student and have one more year until I move out of my parents house. The thing that i am struggling with for quite sometime is the following : There was an incident that happened where my brother was being molested/fondled and the child molester (who was my cousin) was caught by my mom ( This was 13 years ago). After this happened, we moved away. The problem I have is that that child molester still lives in that city, but I want to live in that city(I lived there for half of my life and which i could go back ), but I am afraid if I live in that city, I will run into my cousin and it will be extremely awkward? What do you think I should do? Should I move there regardless? ( I haven't talked to this cousin since then, but I know he lives there because my aunt told me he does.) PS...If I see my cousin in person, how do i handle that situation?

You should go wherever you wish to go. Your pervert cousin has been shunned by your family, quite rightly, and it's a pity he wasn't prosecuted as he may be molesting others even now. Discuss your move back to the city with your parents. Cities are big places and you unlikely to run into him and if you did he would probably try to avoid you in case you shouted 'pervert' at him in public. I hope your brother got suitable counselling at the time so it didn't destroy his life. Your aunt (his mother?) knows where he lives and knows you don't want to ever see him again - so you could move to a different part of the City from where he lives.

• Archer

You seem to allow others do dictate much in your life. This individual knowing you know he is a pervert would probably avoid you.

i wouldnt let him stop you from living where you want to live but he should be in jail instead of living out there, if noone has told the police about it maybe you should so you dont have to be running into him

You are far more likely to run into many other child molesters before you run into your cousin. They don't wear signs identifying themselves. They look like regular people and they may already be among the people you see everyday. But somehow you are able to handle it, just as you will with your cousin.

The chances of you running into a particular person in any city seem fairly remote - depending on the size, probably. However, have you decided to allow this person to rule and ruin your life? Why give control of your life to another person? Even if you did see him, no doubt you have both changed somewhat and you may well not even recognise each other. He would be every bit as embarrassed as you if you did, and would probably move quickly away. Good Luck!

Would the move there cause you to always be worried and looking over your shoulder? Would it make memories come back that disrupt your life? Answer those questions in your mind and heart before moving - and remember there are hundreds maybe thousands of other amazing cities!

Depending on how big the city is, you might not even run into him. I say you go in order to accomplish your goals, if you do run into him just make sure you say what you feel you have to say. Hopefully this scumbag has realized he is lucky to have the ability to walk, and will crawl under a rock and die.