Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

If someone you met briefly years ago saw you somewhere came up to you and said “hi, I think we’ve met before, are you the teacher?” Rude ?

Referring to you as “the job title”

How to respond?

“Hi who are you? The accountant?”

So direct!

Nasty comments ARE reported..

No, not necessarily.

It would help if you told us if you actually were or have been a teacher, by the way ...

He was just trying to place you.

• John P

I would phrase it as "I think you were my teacher" if that were the case, or "I think you taught my daughter" if that were the case. "Are you the teacher?" sounds rude, especially if school was many years ago.

• drip

No, that isn’t rude at all. They recognize you but can’t place form where,

They are trying to give you clues too to help both of you figure out where you met.

I worked the fro t desk at a dance academy. For 3;4 years after I quit I got this, I know you from somewhere. And I would say Has your child danced at X dance academy?

nope-not rude-they are just trying to place you--and remembered you by your job....(or thought they had) you can't really expect to be remembered by everyone--do you remember everyone you've met your entire life....?

If you are a teacher, then you should be flattered that they remember that you are since they only met you briefly, years ago.  But if you choose to decide that was rude of them, that is YOUR choice.  Or you can choose to be complimented that they remembered you even slightly.  Personally I would have been flattered.

i dont think they meant anything bad by it

Seems OK, better than bounding up to them and saying aren't you the snowflake?

Yeah, I'm dead eye kate did to the game?

Are you employed?

It could easily be that the person knows you from before but can't remember whether s/he knew you as a teacher, sports coach, traffic warden or street sweeper. It is no problem for you to say "Yes, I was a teacher at such and such school". This would probably trigger the person's memory and allow some pleasant reminiscences. It isn't rude in any way but is the way ordinary humans do things.

I don't feel that they were being rude, I think you may be reading too much into that one.