Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

Do you have the right to know why your background check denied?

The recent security job I applied for texted me telling me that i failed the background check. I asked him if he is legally able to inform me of why it failed and he didn’t tell me anything. Can i get a copy or ask him? What can i do in this situation

• xyzzy

Background checks are not free. You can do the same as the company, hire a company to run a background check on yourself and pay them for it.

• lucy

Maybe.

From what I remembered when I was working and applied to a job, that (if) the job being offered was contingent of passing a drug test and also a background check. In most cases, on your application, or they could have you sign a separate agreement for a background check. Now on the form that you signed, would have the (name) of the company/address/phone to get a copy of your background check results. I do remember that the form stated I had (30) days to request a copy for free. Since I always passed, I never requested a copy.

Most fail due to lying about their education, experience, or had a prior felony/misdeamenor etc. Put simply, whatever you put on the application and answer to, is what they are verifying. Odds are, you probably know the reason and (hoped) it would not be found.

There can be only one reason it failed. You have something in your past.

There is NO SUCH THING as a background check being denied. You were denied employment based in part on what showed up on the background check.

They fact you asked him if he is legally allowed to tell, you why, instead of asking him to tell you why, is sufficient grounds not to hire you, regardless of the results.

No. He was nice enough to inform you, but you do not know what he said is true. You might ask him to furnish you a detail from the report that would cause the rejection, to be sure that it is you in the report. If they are being honest, they would want to verify the report. If they rejected you for other reasons, then they are more likely to furnish you no details. If you think about it, since this is a cop-evidence thing, your reaction to the rejection could be the test. That is accepting what you are told disqualifies you for the job. Questioning what you were told qualifies you for the job. Reading the way you worded your question, you are not qualified for the security job, in my opinion.

• AndyF

Many back ground checks are done hurriedly by private companies. They just report what they find without digging deeper.

I used to do back ground checks for my company but we were required to bring negative information to the applicant's attention so he could respond. Often we found misinformation or incomplete information on the background and the applicant was approved. This was my company policy but I don't know if they legally have to tell you what was found.

• STEVEN F

That WAS NOT the policy of the company you DIDN'T work for. If you EVER had such a job you WOULD know if it was required.