Are people with PTSD violent?

My ex bf, whom I'm starting to date again has PTSD....he lost his leg when I drunk driver hit him. My mother thinks he's gonna kill me and my daughter because of his PTSD. He's never hit me, but we used to argue like cats and dogs. Also my uncle had knew someone with ptsd, he killed himself which made things worse. Anybody know anything about PTSD?

• k w

that you're playing with fire, kinda like handing an infant a loaded revolver to play with,.......that's about all I can say.......

PTSD can be complicated.  Here's the breakdown:  Someone has a bad experience... the result of having that bad experience can effect them in all kinds of ways.  They may have reactions that they aren't able to control; things that the brain does automatically according to proper or improper function (Scientists know a lot about the brain, but they are a long, long way from knowing exactly why and how it functions the way it does).  It may cause them to be physically sick for reasons they can't control.  Their dreams may haunt them.  They may not be able to control how they react in certain situations. 

It's similar to being in a relationship with someone who has a physical disability-and, yes, that would mean he has two disabilities.  But, there is hope that the PTSD may fade away.  

The obvious therapy is love.  Love who they are.  Love who they want to be.  Share your sincere feelings with him.  Share who you want to be.  

Certain medicines may help, too.  One that I recommend is CBD oil. 

And, above all else, you've gotta decide whether you want to be with him or not. 

Yes, but only rarely. They're more likely to hurt themselves.

There's NO set of rules or standards for those with PTSD. Some wrap themselves up in their own little cocoon. Some lash out against others. Still others (as you said) commit suicide - or at least think about it. To be quite frank about it...Yahoo Answers would be the last place I'd seek advice. Is there a V.A. Hospital or clinic nearby with a support group for veterans with PTSD? I'll assume he was in the Mid-East war. Try that instead.

Source(s): Vietnam Air Force Vet

I have PTSD due to my parents abusing me. I can say that I’m not violent, just have aggressive emotions sometimes. I would never hurt someone the way I’ve been hurt though. That’s just so backwards.