Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 9 months ago

Should I build my house with a 12'x12'x8' master bedroom, or a 12'x12'x'12' one? In other words, 8 foot ceiling or 12 foot ceiling? Which is?

better for sleeping under?

• Shay

Consider this - a high ceiling is just empty space that costs more money to heat or cool.

Lower ceilings mean lower heating and cooling costs because you aren't heating or cooling dead space.

If you are building your own home, I would consider building a bigger bedroom.

The height of the ceiling has little to do with the quality of your sleep. From a feeling of space and to make the room consistent with current tastes 9 foot is a good choice. I do agree with others that a 12 x 12 foot master is pretty small. You should consider making it bigger while you can. I know when we built our house we enlarged all the bed rooms and it was a big selling point when we sold.

For a person of normal height, actually, a 9 foot ceiling is sufficient for ceiling fans and lights and is the right size for kitchen cabinets, etc. 8' is the minimum and is actually too low. So, 9 is the ideal room height. You can be too tall, and it serves no purpose for housing in the USA. Raising the height, increases the volume and increases the A/C load since A/Cs ducting works by mixing all the air in a room. Likewise, your room area is too small for a master bedroom. Try increasing it to at least 14 feet, with 16 x14 being a good size. Another thing is the master bath. Consider giving up the unused tub and putting in a better walk in shower.

I would go with 9 ft minimum as a ceiling height but the floor area is small for a MB. Start with the bed and then work out how much space that leaves around it, decide how much closet space you want and whether you want a sitting area. Positions of doors and windows will have a major impact on usability. It all rather depends on the style of your house but if you have the opportunity to plan it I would add 50% on the floor area at least unlkess you have a dressing room ensuite.

• Rick B

I would be more worried about the 12 x 12. Most master bedrooms are 16 x 18 or similar. 12 x 12 is just a few feet larger than most secondary bedrooms.

8 foot ceilings have not really been popular since the 80s. You should go with 10 or 12 foot ceilings throughout your home.