Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

I am really addicted to my phone & trying to wean off it. What can I do on days off instead?

Im over 45 and have no friends or family

I cannot volunteer due to irregular work hours

I have little money

No kids

NO partner

No family

I suggest exercise. Everyone could use more exercise. Cooking is cool too. Try a new recipe or make a big batch of whatever to enjoy all week. Or at least a few days. Heating up leftovers is so much easier than prepping, cooking cleaning up daily. On my time off, I enjoy trolling Craigslist forums. It's a real troll-fest over there. More trolls than regular users. And the regular users are mostly jerks so they deserve it and I don't feel bad.

• Edna

Oh, for heaven's sake. On your days off, go for a walk, watch TV, read a book, work on a hobby, clean the house, go to a movie, visit a museum or just enjoy having to do ANYTHING for a change. There are all sorts of things you can find to do on your days off, if you just look for them; and none of them involve a cell phone. It is NOT necessary to walk around with a phone glued to your ear 24 hours a day.

• Jerry

Exercise.

Read books and magazines.

Draw, sing, dance and otherwise develop your talents.

Really LISTEN to some music instead of using it as background noise.

Fix up your home, like organize your closet, get your financial records into order, sew and mend.

Do volunteer work that isn't on a schedule like taking a long walk and picking up trash in your area, like making occasional phone calls to someone who can't get out much like a nursing home resident.

Start growing a few herbs and vegetables in pots.

Work a jig saw puzzle.

Work on your grooming like hands, feet, and nails, like giving yourself facials and skin treatments.

use the library---most libraries these days rent movies, and cds and offer free programs for adults and yes--you can always take out a book!

go for walks--end up in a coffee shop--you might make some friends by getting out of the house.

experiment and try new recipes-bake something and share with neighbors--or coworkers.

find yourself some diy projects

do crosswords-or wordsearches

find out when the local hs is putting on a play.

go to the mall and just people watch--and window shop.

go to the matinee-so much cheaper.

join clubs--or look for free classes or entertainment.

start a crafting project.

• `

1. Read

2. Volunteer at your local animal shelter or Good Will

3. Go to a movie

4. Join a gym and exercise

5. Get to know your neighbors

i feel the same way but with me its not my phone but the net, i dont feel like i have friends or family either, i dont even have a job, i dont have kids or a partner either, one of the things ive thought about doing that ive been hearing about thru when i go see my doctor they always have tables out in the hall asking people to get involved with medical research, thinking about calling them tomorrow,

• drip

Sure you can volunteer. It doesn’t have to be the same days and time each week.

Start up a hobby,

Learn to cook a great meal for one. Learn to bake.

Clean. Get some deep cleaning in. Like washing cabinets, windows.

Have more of a routine for you days off. Things you will get done around the house.

We have a great library. They offer a lot of adult classes, seminars, and events. Check out your park district.

There are free things to do. It is just a matter of replacing phone time with something else, whether it be watching a movie, taking up a new hobby or going back to old hobbies that you took a break from. I have a similar problem with the computer, especially the internet because there is so much out there to be entertained by. I break things up but doing household chores that need doing, wood working, organizing my house and shed, yard work, etc. I usually feel good on two fronts, less computer time and more productivity.

Read the Bible

Luke 11:2-4

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. [3] Give us day by day our daily bread. [4] And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

• g

What did you do before your cell phone?