if my vavle cover is not on tight enough will that cause me to fail smog?

I failed smog cuz my car burn a little too much HC but everything else is a pass. when I got home I notice that my vavle cover wasnt tight enough only hand tight and when the engine gets very hot there is small oil starts leaking out . will that cause me to burn more HC?

No that will have no effect. Change your oil to fully synthetic. Fit a new air filter and new spark plugs, properly gapped., Make sure the car is to full working temperature immediately prior to the test. That will give you the best chance of a pass.

That won't raise the HC, but the "observation" part of the smog test due to oil leaks is what the HC emission defect is. Clean up the oil stains with brake cleaner spray after tightening the valve cover enough so it doesn't leak anymore and get a retest. You won't burn more HC .

• Dan

Instead of throwing darts why don't you just reveal the year, make, model, and mileage, all the gas readings to get an informed answer?

• JetDoc

AAAAaaaaahhhhhhh...NO!

Dafuq did you do dude? Why is your valve cover only hand tight?

You realize there is a gasket in there that can fail, right? And THATS why it may be leaking oil. 

I failed smog cuz my car burn a little too much HC but everything else is a pass. when I got home I notice that my vavle cover wasnt tight enough only hand tight