Alex asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 10 months ago

Are some occupations paid too much? Too little?

I've been having a lengthy discussion with two friends about job salaries and work. One of my friends, Melissa*, is a Starbucks barista and she makes 29K/year. The other, Joan, is a food delivery driver and she's only been working for a couple months but says she's on track to make up to 55K this year. I believe her, she's shown me earnings of her getting like $780 a week from food delivery not including cash tips.

Melissa got really mad at Joan, saying that her job pays way too much for the little amount of technical skill and knowledge required to perform the job, telling her: "All you do is drive around, pick up orders, put sauce in bags, and drop it off. You just drive around and listen to music and have the time of your life. How can you make so much money for so little work? I spent months trying to memorize all these drinks, equipment, and learning inventory and doing schedule management and all this cr*p and I get paid pretty much half than you. That's ridiculous."

Well, I was going to tell Melissa that if she thinks it's so easy, just to become a delivery driver. But I remembered she doesn't own a car and walks to work.

Welp. Do you think delivery drivers are paid too much? Baristas are paid too little? What's your opinion on the matter?

It also begs the question, do you think people have a bias and think their own job is inherently harder their other peoples' jobs?

*I used fake names, we are in Texas.

Joan is going to have a rude awakening when she discovers that she's an independent contractor and owes 15k in tax. She's also going to have a rude awakening when she discovers that she's "spent" her car. No medical insurance, no paid time off, no retirement plan with company match, no unemployment, no worker's comp...

Yes, but not the ones that you think. Driving that much without crashing at all is harder than you think. If a barista screws up an order, the customer isn't happy and might ask for a refund or might ask to have it remade, but it's end the end of the world. If a driver screws up, even for a fraction of a second, someone can die (either the driver or someone else). Considering the relative amount of danger and the relative amount of responsibility, drivers are paid too little and baristas are paid too much.

I'm rolling my eyes at Melissa thinking she has mad skills. And if Joan thinks her paycheck is all profit, she's ignorant.

Joan has a great *paycheck* but the fuel and wear and tear on her car will cost her in the long run. That's why many Uber and Lyft drivers end up making less than minimum wage. Joan is in for a surprise when she does her taxes. If she's honest about her job, her auto insurance must be through the roof.

• I don't think either job gets payed enough for what they have to deal with. Also it's like comparing apples to oranges, the jobs are completely different. Also these are hourly payed jobs they're not salaried. One requires a bit more work then the other. I think the barista job should get payed more because they're more tasks involved in it.

As long as they can cover their expenses, then they shouldn't be arguing about who gets payed more money. If 'Melissa' wants to make more money then she should ask for a raise or find a better paying job.

Don't try to second guess the Free Market.

Is Joan salaried ?? Probably not, so the harder she works (and faster she drives - time is money) the more $ she gets. BUT she also has more expenses !! Car depreciation or mileage (depending on her tax reporting choice) [and more at risk for an auto accident], higher car insurance,** double the FICA expense, no health insurance, no employer retirement plan for sure, and no upward mobility. Melissa is probably in the better position. ** Melissa personally is saving a fortune not needing a car. At the end of the day, Melissa is the winner.

• Alex10 months agoReport

Ah, interesting!

• Judy

I agree there are jobs that are paid too much and jobs that are paid too little. Probably most people agree. What they DON'T agree on though is which are which.

• Alex10 months agoReport

In regard to the barista/delivery driver example, what do you think?

The important part is you are unemployed.

• Alex10 months agoReport

Well, I'm 16, so I'll have to apologize for that.

Supply and demand. You think another job that pays better is worthwhile, get the necessary training and do it. Simple as that.

• Alex10 months agoReport