Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

do you think i have a chance at stanford? (ps. i havent taken the sat/act yet but am going to take both and am studying hard for them)?

i know stanford has a holistic admissions process and everything, i just thought i'd get input from the public. i've read many articles and watched many videos about students who have gotten accepted into stanford and it's my dream school.

i am an asian american and have a long family legacy of stanford alumnis

i'm currently a 1st semester junior in high school with a 3.3 gpa. now, i know thats SUPER low for an elite school like stanford, however, i've done calculations and if i'm able to get straight a's for the rest of high school i can graduate with a 3.7 gpa. i'm taking one IB course this year and might take some more my senior year (for extra oomph)

i'm on my school's swim team and have swam my whole life (it's one of the only sports i'm good at)

i do a BUNCH of community service in clubs at school etc and am closely connected with the manager of a non-profit organization serving food to the low income/homeless

i've always been into music my whole life. it's my passion. i've played the violin, clarinet, and piano. piano stuck with me the most and ive been super passionate about it.

i'm also a girl scout. and i have been for my whole life. i'm planning on doing my gold award which involves 80+ hours of service/making an impact on my community.

i know this all sounds like a very average lifestyle for a student who would like to go to stanford, however, i am really working to improve myself. i am planning on talking about the importance of music and my gold award.

• John

I would strongly suggest that you alter your thinking in regards to having a "dream school." Having a primary goal of being admitted to a certain elite university often leads to disappointment for many high school students. You should instead focus on a dream career, and work towards that goal.

Adding something to this reply which was not addressed previously, however, I'm afraid your swimming record will not help at Stanford. Stanford's swim team is among the best on the planet, so you would likely need to have national or world class potential to get their interest. Stanford swimmers collected 14 medals at the 2016 Olympics.

Your chances are very slim. I do alumni interviews for a university that's less competitive than Stanford, and it routinely rejects the #1 student in the class (all AP and IB), with perfect or near-perfect SAT scores. An applicant with a low (for Stanford) GPA, with only a few scattered AP and IB classes, is just not going to be competitive. (You might -graduate- with a 3.7 GPA, but the GPA Stanford will see is the one at the end of your junior year, since you will apply before even your first term senior grades are in).

Your only real chance (and it's still pretty slim) is to focus on your music (I'm assuming you're actually good), and to play up your legacy status.

1. You'll need to apply to the Department of Music for an undergraduate music major. You'll need to audition (if you live locally) or send in a recorded audition.

2. Apply Restrictive Early Action. (My alma mater will reject legacy applicants unless they apply early admissions). Note that performing arts REA applications are due even before the normal REA applications (this year it's October 15, but this may change next year, so be sure to check Stanford's admissions page early and often, beginning in August).

Take the SATs -this- year. If you don't do very well (Stanford's average admitted SAT scores are well into the 1400s) then take a prep class and take them again. Repeat as necessary. The "middle 50%" of admitted applicants had SAT Math scores of 720-800, and Reading and Writing scores of 700-770.

• drip

You have posted this before and got a verity of good answers,

Apply if you want to, all that will be lost is your application fee.

Be sure to apply to other universities as well.