Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

What would be your response in this situation?

1. I own a 13 year old car. it looks perfect. I love this  car. Recently I had a bumper to bumper inspection and it found a lot of items needing repair due to the age of my car. I am looking at about 4,500.00 in repairs. It can be done spread out over time. I know this is a lot of money. I know my car is not worth much more than than the cost of repairs. My husband wants me to drive the car until it fails.

2. One of the repairs I need to do soon is my cv joints. both front end of car. I am in stage one where they are slinging grease. If I drive my car until the cv joints  fails,   I could be seriously hurt or die - look up cv joint failure/breaks what happens. My husband says, he will always will keep me in a reliable car, it won't be a nice as the car I have now.

3. He thinks he can get me a good, basically student crap car for under $7,000, invest probably $2,000, like you usually do for a used car and he thinks it will be better than the car I have now? A car at that price might be 2-3 years newer than what I am driving now.

4. It will have old age problems too. Plus not knowing all history of said car. Am I being unreasonable where I think it is the better solution to fix the car that I really love? I think it will cost more going the way he says..I also got to sit through a condescending speech om how much money has been spent on my car over 13 years. Normal stuff. My husband has had 4 vehicles to my one.

New front axles (with CV joints) aren't expensive to purchase and install yourself (husband and/or you/family/buddy) and installing brakes and new axles together is a good way to do that. I could probably swap out both axles and do the brakes in a day with some decent tools and I'm just a weekend mechanic at best. You can research cost of parts TO YOU, then see what a shop/dealer charges, then add on what the "book" time for any repairs is (all online). Many places have 100% markup on prices and $140 an hour shop rate NOT broken into 15 minute blocks for you. I checked 2006 Buick Lacrosse axle prices and they seem to be about $60-$80 each. Brake pads aren't much, and even rotors aren't expensive anymore.

If you have done solid basic maintenance over the years the car should be in decent shape, and when you consider the car has been paid off for probably some time it isn't throwing good money after bad IF it has more value per month using it than selling it and paying for a different one even with repairs. Say you have a GM car with a 3.8/3800 V-6 engine, one of the best ever made, it's been maintained and has 138,000 miles on it. Engine is going to be fine for few more years, if transmission was serviced and filter changed than that could be good for a few years too. If you had a pre-2002 Caddy with a Northstar engine I'd be worried about head bolts pulling out from the threads in the aluminum block and causing a head gasket leak, or other cars with other issues. So, depending on your car, it might need a timing belt change per owners manual/real world experience (with an interference engine a belt breaking is a disaster), which takes time and might be a shop job, but again, going in knowing the belt costs $X and the book says Z# of hours, you have some idea what it takes to keep a shop running,people learning skills, and insurance.

The guy fixing your car is getting $16-$22 an hour probably to work on your car. The technician had to take classes and get certified so that is part of the price too.

Not going to comment on the 4 to 1 ratio of cars ...

My son was in a similar situation, he had a 2004 that started to need repairs but was paid for, so he opted to a 2009 with payments and more stuff that can go wrong and new sensors (like wheel air pressure that I ended paying for), just might have been MUCH better to deal with the devil he knew or you know ...

• Lv 4

..use as spares; and have superbalance done on the tires; theres a special method of withdrawing old transmssn fluid & replacing with best quality new fluid, offered by some dlrships, a bit pricey but Really helps the transmission to last & last; One of the Very Best cars Ever made: a True Keeper :)

• Erik

I would just fix the car I have. Another car would be far more expensive than just the repairs. Don't fix anything you don't need to for right now. That's what I would do.

If you ask a mechanic to find fault he will oblige. So forget the silly estimate and concentrate on safety matters. The CV joints will fail but only if neglected. Get new gaiters fitted asap. This will make the joints last. If the car is reliable then run it into the ground. Then get a newer car.

If your husband loves you he would get a GOOD used car.** If your husband has recently taken out a very large insurance policy on you drive as little as possible, and very carefully. **Another point: At a cost of about $2,000 per year for a car, if your car lasted more than 2 years with repairs you would pass the break even point. {Falconry2 has some good points. (I have done brakes many times, but never tried to do cv joints and axles.)}

Source(s): Serious, in a lighthearted way.

It depends......