promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Dogs: My dog goes nuts when we are in the car and I turn the windshield wipers on - she tries to bite the wipers - why?

She is a very small spayed spaniel mix a little over 2 years old.

Update:

~

This question is about WHY she is doing this. It's NOT asking what I "need" to do. You trolls should work on your reading skills.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

The wipers pose a threat (etc.) that needs to be controlled. Kind of like how dogs treat sprinklers.

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Sure does (pose a threat) if the driver is distracted by their fool dog behaving like this while the car is in motion.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

First of all you need to secure the dog in the back seat in a harness or seat belt strap that buckles in the seat belt and the other end to the collar of harness of the dog.. NOT in the front seat. Then you can eliminate the problem.

• 8 months ago

Unusual movement in dogs visual territory. Lots of dogs try going for the wipers.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Chase instinct.............

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Because you are not keeping her calm before, during or after you turn the wipers on.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because you don't secure your dog in a seatbeat harness or better still a crate, which you can cover and stop this bad and dangerous behaviour........ she does it because some dogs are motivated by movements which they chasse and she continues because you have either encouraged it thinking it was funny or not stopped it/corrected her and secured her

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

^^ Quite!!

• 8 months ago

Wipers move fast across the screen and may, in some way, represent a threat, or just 'fun' given how many dog like to chase anything that moves.

I think you'd do well to travel with your dog in a crate at the rear of the car. Having one 'going nuts' like that, when in a moving car, could surely be very dangerous, if not distracting!!

What idiots are hitting the TD button for answers who suggest ALL dogs should be properly confined in a moving car? Or do you think it's fun to have a dog misbehaving in a car, and potentially causing an accident/crash!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.