What to do if someone comments hateful things on my selfie ?

I am 24M and I was scared to post a selfie of me smiling (before & after braces transformation) bc I felt like somebody was gonna post a hate comment. It’s a two year transformation and I posted that I have one year left. But I did it anyway bc its a huge difference and it’s practically straight in the “after” picture.

Then someone who I don’t even follow commented “not the perfect smile”.

I deleted the comment and blocked him.

Why would someone comment that ?! And what should I do? Has it ever happened to you? That’s why I’m scared to post selfies bc someone always has negative things to say. Please help!

TL;DR - Posted a selfie of myself and a random person commented hateful thing on it. What should I do?

10 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't post selfies, or limit who can see your posts on social media. Yahoo Answer is NOT social media and selfiies are NOT appropriate here, so your question appears to be misplaced in this subcategory (which is about the rules and workings of Yahoo Answers).

FYI, "not a perfect smile" isn't hateful or mean. If something like that bothers you, I suggest you refrain from using any social site online.

Posting chat questions here on YA is likely to get your post removed. This isn't the place to show off how your smile has changed after braces.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Simple. DO NOT post selfies on here. They are purely chat and asking for ratings, against cg. 

• 2 months ago

if you post a selfie and only expect lovely supportive comments--then you are living in a fantasy world. If you have been on this site more than ten mins you know that it is full of snarky angry people who live to cause hurt. I am thinking this is not the site for you.

• 2 months ago

You know, instead of deleting the comment and blocking him, you should have said "so what is the perfect smile? Maybe you should post a selfie and show me?"

Do you think they would have done that? I doubt it... when a person sees that you're not reacting in such a way that shows you were hurt, they realise that their comment was stupid and then they look like the idiot and not you. They may have even deleted the comment themselves.

You had every right to embarrass the person back... You could also have went on to their profile and left a comment saying "this person didn't like the way I smiled and left a negative comment on my selfie."

What I find is, people HATE when they see another person reacting like that & can't handle the embarrassment after.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Delete the Comments and Try to Ignore it

If they Continue Block them

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Do? Stop posting selfies. Why make yourself miserable?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

My answer to you is if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

• 2 months ago

You should stop posting selfies for several reasons. If you do, you are inviting opinion and unless it rises to the level of a violation, you just need to accept it. Your recent questions are "Dear Abby" types and people are just tired of answering those. We do not know you, the other people, or the situation. You can not give us enough detail to give a good answer. Most users are looking for questions they can answer with facts, not advice for the lovelorn. Your questions are better asked to your Mom, Aunt, or older sister. Even your Grandmother could do better than the users on YA.

• 2 months ago

Any personal account I have is closed to anonymous lurking because I don't care about the opinions of people I don't know. That may be an option for you?

• Rufus T. Firefly
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That explains it. Seven years is a huge percentage of life time for someone who (in that time) was also in high school. He either changed a lot, you changed a lot, or you never really were that synced but because of high school age, you didn't understand it at the time.

• JJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That was a troll. You should stop worrying about trolls.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.