My roommate records my every move?

I just moved into a new place in California. I rent the upstairs half of a house. My roommate and I share the kitchen and entryway. My roommate is out of town 3 days a week for work. When I was first moving in he said what I assumed was a joke. He said on those days I'd have house to myself and to "feel free to walk around naked"....Well, I recently discovered not one but FOUR hidden cameras placed around the house. I googled the type of camera that I found and learned that it also records audio. So my every move I make, every conversation I have is being recorded. I feel ive been violated. What do I do now? What do I say to him?

• zipper

Just report him to the police, and let them deal with him.

Why are you assuming that your roommate did it? Landlords have been convicted of doing that to tenants, even watching women in the bathrooms, showering, and the bedrooms. There are several approaches you can take. 1) Report it to the police, show them, take photos of the cameras and then rip them out; 2) Rip out all of the cameras and if your roommate mentions it, tell him - "can you believe that the landlord would do such a thing?". "I went to him and yelled at him about it and told him I was going to sue him." Your roommate will think he is off the hook or he might try and convince you not to sue. He might even admit to doing it. Tell him you were so angry that you threw out the cameras. 3) How you want to handle it is up to you. You could also consult a lawyer. Look into evicting him.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

That violates your privacy.  Call the police and report it and let them investigate it.

It is legal to record in the common areas. Creepy though. I suggest moving out.

• SimplytheFACTS

not audio...lost another bet....

• Bort

A home owner or the primary lease occupant is allowed to have and use serveillence cameras. There's nothing you can do legally. You can ask to turn them offf when he's not there but he's very likely going to say a very adiment "hell no!" to that. They are there for his security.

What are you afraid of him capturing you doing or saying? If you're not doing anything wrong there's nothing to be concerned with being recorded about.

They are likely not there to "spy on you" they are there for his and your security and safety. They will also capture people that don't know the cameras are there doing things to both of you that they shouldn't. ;)

Keep your clothes on.

I would first contact the police IMMEDIATELY. Then I would contact the owner of the house verbally and in writing. He should evict the tenant Immediately. You don't have to feel violated -- YOU WERE VIOLATED. I would NOT Say anything at all to him, LET THE POLICE AND THE LANDLORD DO ALL THE TALKING. If you confront him now, then he is likely to get rid of all the evidence.

Move out of there lol

I just moved into a new place in California. I rent the upstairs half of a house. My roommate and I share the kitchen and entryway. My roommate is out of town 3 days a week for work.

• Tavy

Put the cameras in a bucket of water and find somewhere else to live. You need to talk to your Landlord.

• D J

If you feel uncomfortable, move out!