mel23
mel23 asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

Anyone else have a senior dog that throws up hrs after eating? ?

13 year old husky is getting skinnier. He lost 10 lbs in 6 months which isn't like him. The vet told me to give him pepcid ac to see if it stops him from throwing up. It doesn't matter what my dog does he still throws up hours after eating (tried diff foods) sometimes he will then eat the food he regurgitated seconds later. Did pepcid help your dog? My vet isn't too worried, thinks it's just old age related. He is now 58lbs and I don't want him getting any thinner. He already looks too thin. 

• Amber

There could be several causes for this.

With my dog it was acid reflux and the medicine made very little difference. At sixteen I really wanted to avoid anything invasive, especially since she know suffers with senility and even a trip to the vets stresses her out. Not good when she also has a heart murmur.

I read a lot about chicken broth and how they used to feed it to people in the olden days when they were sick, dehydrated, half starved. It's full of goodness and was often given to people with vomiting as it seemed to settle the stomach, if cooked correctly. I was desperate to get a meal to stay in her.

So I bought a whole chicken, placed it in water and cooked it slowly in the oven for 24 hours. Half way through I added vegetables. After 24 hours I drained all the water into a jug, added tiny pieces of the chicken meat, liver and some of the veg. So it was like a soup and then cooled it quickly, split into freezer bags and cooled in the fridge.

Not only did she love it but she kept it down. There has been no more regurg on it (3 months). She put the weight back on and just seems better in herself.

Now she's chewing bones again without regurging, and is having more solid based meals each day. It seemed to work for her.

no..........................................

It could be mega-esophagus

Dogs can vomit or regurgitate and they are NOT the same thing. So which is your dog doing? You do not indicate if you clearly understand the difference.... when using the TERMS. If the dog is regurgitating food (just eaten) with little to NO heaving; the most likely cause is mega-esophagus. It can be acquired later in life. (I have had two male dogs to have it.)

I see you now "claim" in a comment you just paid 4K to do testing on the dog (including an MRI and blood work). That is actually important and you LEFT THAT OUT - which is NOT HELPFUL!

You also LEFT out the results of said blood work, including calcium levels (which can be OFF - if the dog has CANCER). Cancer is a 50% possibility; in all dogs over age 10 and one of the major signs of advanced cancer is sudden & unexplained weight loss. You seem sure, the lack of enough CALORIES - is the ONLY cause for the weight loss, even though you mention the dog re-ingesting the regurgitation. (????) Do you want to clarify any of that, for those of us who still - don't read minds?

If you only feed the dog once a day, it may (now) be suffering low blood sugar due to only getting one meal (which can cause nausea) so make sure you feed 2-3 times the total calories fed, in a day.

If you see whole & undigested food come immediately BACK UP (that suggests mega-esophagus) & is more commonly seen in older dogs. It is treatable. No, it does not show up on the testing you claim was done.

It would really help to have more details; as you have left major things out of your post, that would be helpful to know. But instead, you LASH OUT at us, as though we can READ MINDS about the unpublished information (you SEEM to think -we should somehow MAGICALLY & automatically KNOW) despite nothing said - in your Original Post.

I would second the advice - to get another opinion from another vet, if you have no firm diagnosis. The dog is NOT vomiting & loosing weight WITHOUT a MEDICAL REASON (you are right on THAT). "Old age" is NOT a cause OR diagnosis. (That is a cop-out; and the sign of an UNCARING, or possibly stupid or lazy vet.) Any caring vet would be very CURIOUS & CONCERNED -(esp after charging you 4K, for essentially nothing).

For now, you can go on the theory of mega-esophagus and RAISE the food bowl (put it on a stool or bucket -so the neck will be level or higher -when the dog eats. Change the food to canned, or make any kibble into a soft watery gruel and/or try feeding the dog the soup mentioned in Amber's post. Pureed meat or Gerber meat baby food can be added.

• PR

I would consult with a different vet. One question is whether the vet did any blood work? This would provide valuable information regarding how his organs are functioning. It might tell whether the kidneys, liver, thyroid and pancreas are working properly. Look up pancreatitis.

Be sure you are adding water to his food, and even a little canned food so it is more like a stew. Another thing that might help would be some B12 vitamin to help his digestion. B12 can be given as an injection or by mouth, although the injection is much better absorbed. 

I would not accept a simple "age-related" diagnose. Really, what does that mean? That level of weight loss needs to be looked at in a clinical and thorough manner. Also, ALWAYS offer one morning feeding and one evening feeding. Only one feeding is very bad for the liver.

What "Ann" suggested is also a very good idea. What she described is actually making "bone broth", which is very nourishing. It has not only the vitamins but the minerals dissolved in the water (make it in a pan of boiling water). I know someone who used bone broth on a dehydrated little runt kitten who was likely just hours from death. He lived and is now doing very well. 

This will not replace a consult with a vet who will do the proper vet work, however.

-Two feedings each day.

-Food mixed with water and canned food.

-Bone broth.

-Chicken and rice.

-Canned pumpkin added to the food.

-Proper blood work.

-Second opinion.

-B12

-Check for pancreatitis

"My vet isn't too worried" usually means you're unable or unwilling to pay for diagnostic testing. If it truly has not been offered, request it ...or seek a second opinion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=senior+dog+that+th...

I just put in the symptoms, as you stated. There are several reasons why she would be throwing up like that. Is she a fast eater? Get a 'dog food bowl made for fast eaters', it slows them down. Stress can cause a dog to get anxieties, nerves on edge.

If you have access to a park or have grass in your yard, the dog would eat the grass to empty out its stomach. Grass works as an irritant to make the dog vomit, lots of animals do that.