Mechanic help?

Looking at buying a car and last mot stats Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced all (6.1.1 (c) (i)) what does that mean and would it be a pricey fix In future it’s a Range Rover I’m looking at and it’s about £1500 cheap then others of same age

• JetDoc

It MEANS it's a rusty POS!

It's saying that at the time of testing the structural rigidity was not significantly reduced to the point where it would fail the test. It will be though, maybe quite soon, we can't tell from here. That is going to be expensive to rectify. No-one wants a rusty Rangie, for that reason.

Either you enlist the help of someone who actually knows and get him/her to look at it, or preferably walk away. I'd do the latter.

walk away ..its a money pit

All cars get surface rust. That is not the issue. Rover has a bad repair record. It is always breaking down so that is pricey. I would rather own a Russian made car as they are cheaper. If they break, use duct tape and tie wire to fix it or walk away from it.

• L.N.

Rust is like car cancer. It spreads and the only way to stop it is to cut it out. That 'significantly' qualifier is worrisome on the structural soundness. I wouldn't buy it myself.

• falconry2

I did airframe repair on KC-135s and corrosion is a major issue on planes, so there are ways to fix aluminum and steel, BUT for a Disco it might not be very cost effective compared to a better rated rig.