Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 months ago

Can you visit a college you have no shot of getting into?

Do they ask you about your gpa etc

Yes, you can. No, they may not ask you anything at all about your GPA. You probably can just walk onto Camus. You do NOT have to have a guided tour. If you are talking about Harvard, yes, they do take groups of tourists around the campus. These days many universities and colleges DO have limited vehicle access.

You don't KNOW you would never get in UNLESS you apply for admission.

• drip

Yes. You can make an appointment with the admissions office and take a tour of the campus. Admissions ay ask your gpa , it they are not goi g to ask you to leave or be impolite.

• enn

You can always visit. In fact, it is even better to meet the college admissions persons in person and have them put a face to a name. Even though you believe you have "no shot" at getting into the school, there are some alternatives, such as taking community college courses and then transferring to this school as a sophomore with general education courses completed. Sometimes it is even better to take the lower division and general education requirement courses for cheaper at a community college to build a better GPA than your high school record. My brothers and I had "no shot" at getting into a big Pac-12 university, but went to community college and received Associate of Arts degrees in General Education. When my brothers applied to a big University and were accepted, I knew my community college grades were good enough to get me in as a transfer student, and so I applied as a transfer student and I was accepted, too. So go visit the campus! I had a bad year at a bad school I hated and still have the 4 "Fs" to show for it. When I transferred to the other school, I met with an actual admissions counselor and told them the story, and they said that my community college credits were enough to get me into this Pac-12 university and they would not even bother with that other school or apply that other school to my collective GPA. They also said it was good that they had met me in person and I had the chance to explain my bad year, as it helped put a face to a name and helped my admissions acceptance. So, visit the school anyway. When I stepped onto the big university campus, it was so much different than that bad school -- I felt good about being on that campus. I had known their football team for years, knew people who were alumni, had worked as an usher for their football games, so it was like I already belonged there. And if you visit this campus you wish to attend, you get a sense of whether or not you could be there and be a part of it. But, talk to an admissions counselor on one of their "Welcome New Students" days. Sometimes they can give you some tips of what classes to take at the community college and what GPA to aim for at community college, so you then have a much better shot at getting in to this school for your upper division work. So go and have a good time, but have the courage to talk to people there about how to get in. Good luck!

You are always free to visit any college despite not being a student. But, you aren't allowed to enter a class if you aren't a student.

I could visit any Ivy League college and not one student could care any less.

They don't have gates with people checking GPA records.