Addy asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 8 months ago

Do most ballet shows use a recording instead of a live orchestra?

I recently purchased two tickets to see the Russian Nutcracker in December and was very surprised to read reviews online afterwards saying that this particular show uses a recording instead of live music. I looked into it and apparently some traveling companies do use recordings instead of an orchestra and was curious if this is common. I’m not too familiar with ballet and this will be the second time I go so I was interested as the tickets I bought were on the pricier side. Is it real ballet if there’s no orchestra?

Yes it’s still live ballet but next time look for a better production. Not all ballet companies use canned music. Even in touring companies. National ballet companies in their home cities will all have live music. Even many regional companies too. Keep in mind the Moscow Great Russian Nutcracker ( Moscow Ballet) is not the famous Mariinsky ( formerly Kiev Ballet ) or the Russian Bolshoi ballet. Everybody has a Nutcracker these days. The best of which in my opinion is the Balanchine one performed by New York City Ballet and the San Francisco Ballet.

full orchestra costs money, are you going to pay higher ticket prices for it

• Addy8 months agoReport

I definitely would but I was just curious if most ballet shows do this since I was surprised by it.