promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 8 months ago

How to deal with overly competitive people?

Today I was injured. When talking to my pal he asked how my day was and I told him. He turned it into a conversation about how he has gotten so messed up some years ago. Which annoyed me because yet again he made it all about him. What makes people turn everything into a competition and how to deal with those types?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Some people are not being competitive when they do that. They are trying to show empathy or open up more conversation. They don't realize how it looks.

I guess one way to deal with it is to deal with "Why do I think this? Is it possible there is another explanation?" And then to let the person know at a neutral time it's fair to have a discussion: "When you talk about yourself right after I've told you something about myself, sometimes I feel like you are not listening to me." Or whatever the truth is. Probably want to examine it and make sure that's what's happening though....

• Merp8 months agoReport

"ah man that's nothing back in 2014 I...."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

don`t tell them anything until you are ready to leave them like to go home

• 8 months ago

Some people just like to reflect on their personal experiences when similar events happen to others.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.