Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 8 months ago

How to deal with overly competitive people?

Today I was injured. When talking to my pal he asked how my day was and I told him. He turned it into a conversation about how he has gotten so messed up some years ago. Which annoyed me because yet again he made it all about him. What makes people turn everything into a competition and how to deal with those types?

Some people are not being competitive when they do that. They are trying to show empathy or open up more conversation. They don't realize how it looks.

I guess one way to deal with it is to deal with "Why do I think this? Is it possible there is another explanation?" And then to let the person know at a neutral time it's fair to have a discussion: "When you talk about yourself right after I've told you something about myself, sometimes I feel like you are not listening to me." Or whatever the truth is. Probably want to examine it and make sure that's what's happening though....

• Merp8 months agoReport

"ah man that's nothing back in 2014 I...."

don`t tell them anything until you are ready to leave them like to go home

Some people just like to reflect on their personal experiences when similar events happen to others.