Garnished bank account?

I received a garnishment summons on my bank account. But the account that got summoned was closed prior to and I no longer bank there. But have accounts at 3 other Banks. Will they just keep going until they find my accounts?

You will be better off giving them your bank account, If they can't find your bank account, they can always garnishee your wages.

YOU never receive a garnishment notice. The order is sent directly to the bank.

Standard procedure is to send actual garnishment orders to EVERY bank that does business in your state.

They don't even bother to look for accounts. They just cover EVERYWHERE they think there is a chance you have an account.

Source(s): Several years in a bank mail room. I had to open many such orders because they weren't addressed specifically enough to deliver without knowing the contents.
  • D J

The notice made be a scam or a zombie debt. I suggest you request in writing a copy of the debt. Then check out the rules in your state about legal debt collections. You could also check out your old bank, but only in person.

Not exactly. They will go about it in a very methodical way.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & Have done garnishments against debtors.
    • STEVEN F

The methodical way is serving EVERY bank they think you MAY do business with. Besides, what YOU claim IS exactly what was asked.

If you were owed the money, would you keep trying to get what you were owed?

You bet they will.

i would hope not

They certainly will try to.