Garnished bank account?

I received a garnishment summons on my bank account. But the account that got summoned was closed prior to and I no longer bank there. But have accounts at 3 other Banks. Will they just keep going until they find my accounts?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

You will be better off giving them your bank account, If they can't find your bank account, they can always garnishee your wages.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

YOU never receive a garnishment notice. The order is sent directly to the bank.

Standard procedure is to send actual garnishment orders to EVERY bank that does business in your state.

They don't even bother to look for accounts. They just cover EVERYWHERE they think there is a chance you have an account.

Source(s): Several years in a bank mail room. I had to open many such orders because they weren't addressed specifically enough to deliver without knowing the contents.
  • D J
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The notice made be a scam or a zombie debt. I suggest you request in writing a copy of the debt. Then check out the rules in your state about legal debt collections. You could also check out your old bank, but only in person.

• 10 months ago

Not exactly. They will go about it in a very methodical way.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & Have done garnishments against debtors.
    • STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

The methodical way is serving EVERY bank they think you MAY do business with. Besides, what YOU claim IS exactly what was asked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

If you were owed the money, would you keep trying to get what you were owed?

• 10 months ago

You bet they will.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

i would hope not

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

They certainly will try to. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.