Can you audio train your brain to relax throughout fear?

Example being... I have an INTENSE phobia of bees, wasps and hornets. The first and most likely thing that will cause me to panic is the sound of them buzzing at me. Now i had dabbled in going to hypnotherapy and it helped a little but it opened up my mind to some other similar ideas. Because i had noticed that... show more Example being... I have an INTENSE phobia of bees, wasps and hornets. The first and most likely thing that will cause me to panic is the sound of them buzzing at me. Now i had dabbled in going to hypnotherapy and it helped a little but it opened up my mind to some other similar ideas. Because i had noticed that hummingbirds made a similar sound when flying because of their high speed wings. And that after an increased population of hummingbirds on my property, the sound bothered me quite a bit less. I wondered then how i could connect the dots but it occured to me that you could kind of train your brain to relax while hearing normally panic inducing sounds. My first idea was that i could turn on sounds of bees buzzing as i slept at night because it seems to me that if i related the sound of bees to a relaxed state of mind, that i could use that as a sort of exposure therapy and overcome my irrational first reaction to bees. But i am not a psychologist and i could be making the problem worse. I dont know if manipulating myself is a terrific plan. So before i try that, is that a good idea? And does anyone have any more thoughts on the topic?
8 answers 8