Can you audio train your brain to relax throughout fear?

Example being... I have an INTENSE phobia of bees, wasps and hornets. The first and most likely thing that will cause me to panic is the sound of them buzzing at me. Now i had dabbled in going to hypnotherapy and it helped a little but it opened up my mind to some other similar ideas. Because i had noticed that hummingbirds made a similar sound when flying because of their high speed wings. And that after an increased population of hummingbirds on my property, the sound bothered me quite a bit less. I wondered then how i could connect the dots but it occured to me that you could kind of train your brain to relax while hearing normally panic inducing sounds. My first idea was that i could turn on sounds of bees buzzing as i slept at night because it seems to me that if i related the sound of bees to a relaxed state of mind, that i could use that as a sort of exposure therapy and overcome my irrational first reaction to bees. But i am not a psychologist and i could be making the problem worse. I dont know if manipulating myself is a terrific plan. So before i try that, is that a good idea? And does anyone have any more thoughts on the topic?

Yes you are able to do that

Please first see a vet to find out which are

Dangerous, get them to communicate with a

Psychologist and doctor thanks

for systematic desensitisation where and when

Appropriate

Or flooding with photographs only, thanks

Where applicable and continue your white

Noise bee noise relaxation when you deem

Nessasary thanks.

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) General knowledge

Try purring kittens white noise too with apps.

Thanks.

DO NOT DABBLE IN HYPNOTHERAPY

either consult a trained hypnotherapist or do not use it. "it opened up my mind to some other similar ideas" is an obvious sign that you did not do the process correctly.

There are many methods to extinguish phobias (any of them). The one that uses sound is EMDR. However, the sound is not to relax, it is to reprogramme.

hypnotherapist has many tools to extinguish phobias. The most useful is systematic desensitization.

EFT/TFT is also useful. Look it up on youtube.

a simple yet effective tool is thought stopping. I have used it many times successfully. It works like this:

On exposure, feel the fear yet do nothing. Do not change breathing etc.

count to ten

Then mentally (if in public) out loud (if in private) shout 'STOP'

then take a long slow breath, focusing on the air filling you.

hold the full breath for a count of 4

then mentally (if in public) out loud (if in private) sigh on the out breath 'calm'

hold the empty breath for a count of 4

Continue for about ten breaths

Now you may feel light headed before ten, if so, stop there.

By using this WILL extinguish any phobia because it turns off the fight/flight response (which is the bodily process of all fears/phobias)

Source(s): 30 years counsellor / 15 years hypnotherapist.

Sleep training turned out to be not effective. I had an actual anaphylactic shock reaction to a wasp sting. I almost died. So it's not completely irrational to be afraid of bees and wasps. I underwent desensitization shots, and when I got stung again, I didn't react. So there are some practical measures you can take.

you could try it and see and then you'll know

I have an idea you can try. If it doesn't work, just stop doing it.

I can tell you about a very effective way to calm down. Breathe slowly.

There are basically 2 kinds of breathing for emotional problems - the paced breathing of DBT for moments of crisis and the more natural 5 breaths per minute recommended by psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg, who have published 6 studies on breathing and mental health.

DBT paced breathing: sit or lie down with a hand on your abdomen so you can feel it swell as you inhale, then breathe slowly and gently while counting seconds - 5 sec. to inhale, 7 sec. to exhale.

Brown-Gerbarg: breathe slowly and gently, 6 sec. inhale and 6 sec. exhale.

Here's the idea. YouTube has all kinds of sound effects recordings, including bees buzzing. There's even one with bees buzzing for hours. Spend as long as you want getting good and relaxed with slow breathing, then listen to a very quiet sound of bees.

If it bothers you, turn the sound off. If it doesn't, you might want to turn the sound up a bit. You can always turn it down.

The idea is that you will come to associate the buzzing with your state of relaxation. If it doesn't work very well at first, you know what they say - familiarity breeds contempt. Experience should make the sound less scary for you.

Another way to use this is that whenever you see an actual bee, you can calm down with slow breathing - if that's necessary.

Remember what your mother told you about bees - if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

By the way, Brown and Gerbarg developed a mind-body program that includes breathing.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

• possibly, but i imagine it would be tricky if faced with a vicious rabid dog that wanted to bite your balls off.

You can train your mind to do many things....

The whole idea is that you can insert "filters" for any of your senses (taste, touch, hearing, smell, sight) and condition a response.

Or, to put it another way: what you believe is what you "see"; not what you see is what you believe