Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

How do I know what’s wrong with me?

I know I need group therapy.

When I started my AP Psychology class, we had to do a presentation. In the end, we had to explain why we’re into Psychology. I ended up explaining a little too long about a personal issue to 30-some classmates.

I lost all my friends and my family either tells me to deal with it or isn’t much help at all when I confide in them so I don’t really have anyone to talk to.

I don’t want a one-on-one with someone who can barely grasp my situation. I want to feel the comfort of other people relating. And although I’m in the same situation myself, I want to be able to comfort others too. To tell them that they’ll be okay.

I know I need group therapy.

But I don’t know what issue I need help with.

I have so much going on. But I’m not sure if it’s because of a trauma I had when I was 4, my recent issue that caused me to spiral into depression or some other mental problem.

I can’t go to a personal psychologist, I don’t really have the time for it nor do I believe my dad will pay for it (he’s a strict, cheap asian). Moreover, I’ve seen a school councilor/psychologist, which is basically the same thing, and they’re no help whatsoever. Just telling me the same things I always hear from everyone. It’s not genuine.

So how do I know what’s wrong with me? If I know what’s wrong with me, then I could find the right group therapy and maybe join them in a few months.

4 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    Most colleges have psychological services available to students free. When you get to a university, look into it.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    maybe you should get some counseling,it might help you out

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    You haven't given any real background information to any of this, though that is quite beside the point- asking randoms on the internet to tell you what's wrong with you, or even help with that, is a generally bad idea. But with the amount of information you gave, nobody is going to be able to even suggest what might be your issue.

    A school cousellor is not the same thing as a clinical psychologist. They cannot diagnose you with anything, nor give the same level of therapy as a clinical psychologist could. You're very naive if you believe counsellors and psychologists are no help whatsoever; these people successfully treat clients who are suicidal, have attatchment disorders, who are violent offenders, and who have such bad anxiety they can't leave their own house, as well as all the core issues which cause these things. If they can grasp the situations of all those people, I'm pretty damn sure they could grasp yours. I'll take it your school counsellor isn't great at their job.

    If you don't know what's wrong with you (and self-diagnosing is, again, a bad idea and unreliable even if you thought you did know) how do you know you would benefit from group therapy? You say you want others to sympathise with you, but it seems more that you feel generally rejected right now and want to vent. The fact you told whatever you did to thirty classmates really just proves that. Venting will not necessarily help you. It might help temporarily, but it likely will not help you actually improve whatever the issue is by itself.

    Almost all group therapy, other than addiction support groups (and even then) is in combination with individual therapy. The point is to help each other along as you all work to improve the issue, and to share progress and how progress was achieved, as well as sometimes so that the therapist can pick up on how clients are interacting and what needs to be worked on in individual sessions (depending on what the issue is).

    Again, unless it's addiction support groups, you will almost always need to be referred to group therapy by a psychologist (ie, you would need to see a psychologist regardless). So, really, you just need to see a psychologist. If you look into it, there may be ways to be treated for free if you are under 18 (just a guess- I'm in the UK, and healthcare is free to everyone here). And on the time point, if you have time for group therapy, you have time to see a psychologist.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 5 months ago

    maybe you should see a therapist and they can put you in group therapy

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.