If I travel to Mexico as a U.S. citizen, am I likely to be targeted by the Mexican drug cartels?

If I go to Mexico by crossing the border to Tijuana? or take a plane trip to Cancun?. I ask because from what I heard there is targeting of American citizens common in Mexico by the drug cartels.

No, quite the opposite. The size of their business is larger than many country's entire GDP and they want to keep their business. They almost universally go out of their way to ensure that tourists can enjoy the locations (and their drugs) safely. The person that needs to fear them, is the independent dealer operating in their territory.

No not unless you have good drugs to steal, not unless you are another drug dealer.

i would hope not

• Sam

I would be very carefull, there have been people kidnapped. It only takes once. Me personally .... no way I would go there, there are many places in the U.S. I can travel to.