What do you do when hard work does not pay off?

What do you do when you have dreams and they don't happen: no matter what you do? Its not like I sat around expecting things to happen. I went to school got a bachelor's in art and even went back to school for a degree in computer programming (with straight A's). I am having trouble getting a full time job that pays decent. I do have a great resume and a go get it personality.

I keep trying to get what I want but life keeps throwing **** at me. I keep getting the bad end of the stick. I know, I know that's how life works. BUT, Should you keep trying and continue failing? What keeps you motivated? Maybe lower your expectations? I know some people get what they want without even trying. Or it just goes smoothly for them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• n2mama

The only way to be successful is to persevere. If you can’t pick yourself up, dust off, and try again then you have a very low chance of achieving all the things you want. Sometimes what seems like the path to get us to what we think we want is a dead end, and we have to back up before we can find a new path. And yes, that sucks and can be very disheartening, but most of us go through that, some more than once before finally getting to our goal.

Relative to your situation, I’m not clear what your goal is. Are you simply wanting a full time job with a decent salary? Because there are actually a number of those out there, even if they may not be glamourous or be more physical or a “dirty job”. I hope you understood when you decided to pursue it that an art degree was much less likely than most others to lead directly to a lucrative career, so to be upset about not being able to get a full time well paying job related to that is hopefully not a surprise. Similarly it sounds like you’ve discovered that your GPA means pretty much nothing once you leave school. So now you have to decide what you want. Yes, that may mean you have to change your expectations. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you are owed a certain salary or position simply because you have a degree in something. Be willing to take the lower level role to get in the door, and if you are as smart and motivated as you say you are, you should be able to advance fairly quickly.

• Pam

Yes, I have a suggestion. It's one thing to want something, it's another thing to ATTRACT IT to you. You have to believe it will happen or better yet that you already have it. The only thing is that it will happen when the universe is ready to deliver it to you, not necessarily when you ask for it. But you have to believe that it is on its way. For years, I wanted my youth program to be successful and did everything I could to build awareness. But i kept knowing that success is coming and I just have to be patient and keep moving towards that goal. It finally happened with the introduction of one person, suddenly doors started flying open. So keep doing what you're doing. Don't have negative thoughts about what you want. Just know that you have to believe you will get it and keep working towards it. The law of attraction IS REAL.

you could try again or try something else

What's a computer programming degree?? What languages can you write with your computer programing degree??

I have a comp sci degree, and I have no idea what a computer programming degree is?? Is a comp sci degree what you're talking about??

• Maxi

Every single person who is successful has failed more than once on their wat to achieving and each time they do they pick themslves up and start again....... dreams are great and for them to come true they have to have some reality, so 'descent pay' is achieved by proving your employer you are worth that pay, which means starting at a lower rate as a new unproved graduate and working your way up, getting promotion...... it is lowering your unrealistic expectations if your expectations are that you are 'worth' more thsn you are... eduction is just a starting point, you have the theory, but means you are totally unproved as a worker that is putting that theory you learned into practice and achieve profit for a business....

< got a bachelor's in art >

More than 20 years ago people were hearing that BAs had problems getting you a job. If you want a BA, great, don't profess surprise in 2019 it is not magically opening doors to high paying jobs.