tomomi asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 months ago

How do you understand these sentences?I?

argued with my boyfriend about my male friends. Finally he sent these messages below. I’m an English learner so I don’t know if I can understand it literally meaning. I’m aware of depending on a situation but if you were me, which meaning do you capture, positive or negative?“My life isn't perfect. I want you in my life but I need some time to think. I have soo many good memories with you but this happening so close to me going away it gives me more things to think about. This just came at a bad time for me.”?

He's a selfish idiot.

Just stop contacting him.

Don't answer his phone calls or texts.

Be unavailable.

If he comes looking for you, it means that he is interested in you.

If he does not seek you out, then he is not interested.

Let his action tell you what you want to know.

• John P

I feel a somewhat negative notion from that message despite his obvious great infatuation with you. Clearly something happened (probably that argument) connected with you or with him, or between you both, very recently, just before he was about to depart ("going away") on a journey. He seems to need time to think about that thing which has just happened.

He is not ready to commit but he wants you to commit to him alone. He correctly foresees trouble in the relationship down the line, and is leaving you behind because his jealousy can't handle your having male friends. Negative for you [you lose him], positive for him [he remains free].

As I understand it, he is preparing to go away somewhere, maybe for military training, or to visit family far away?

In the run-up to his departure, you have done something in connection to your male friends that has upset him.

Now he's saying he wants to have you in his life, but he was going to spend some time thinking anyway, and now that this has happened so close to his departure date, he finds there's even more to think about than before.

Let him go, don't get upset, and why not do some thinking too?

Although he wants you in his life, he needs time to think about what to do about it but right now his thoughts of going away is clouding his ability to think the situation through properly.

• 💜

He’s saying he wants to be with you, but the situation with your male friends is bothering him. He needs to think about whether or not he wants to stay together. The fact that he’s going away is making him insecure about the situation, that’s why he said this happened at a bad time.

sounds like hes saying its not good timing for him to have a girlfriend

What's your relationship with your SO have to do with this?