I m I being immature?

I am 19 and just started my freshman years of college. The same night my parents dropped me off, they got into a moreible reck. My parents almost died, my dad has to learn how to walk again and my mom has to use a walker to move a short distance.

I feel super stressed because of all of this and I m scared about what will happen. Despite that I am still attending classes even though I m super stressed. And a couple days ago a friend of mine died and I got the news while I was in class.

I am always sad and I m having a hard time dealing with everything that has happened. I thought me crying and being sad would be justified but everyone treats me like a baby when I am upset. They talk down to me and get an treat me like a child. Now I think that I m being childish. Am I being childish or is everyone around me a jerk?

• Helen

You are not being "childish" at all - you are being human!

In fact starting college is enough of a reason to be stressed, never mind the rest! You and your parents have suffered a traumatic ordeal. Your age does not come into it - I'm 32 and would feel exactly the same in your situation.

It's perfectly ok to feel depressed, stressed and anxious from time to time - For ANY reason. Or no reason! Speaking to a therapist when you feel this way should be no different to seeing a doctor when you have the flu.

I am sorry that friends and peers are not being supportive but there are people out there who can help. Let's end the stigma of mental health.

Ignore the people around you. These people are heartless and cruel. I would even see if your college can let you take a semester off, so you can better deal with this unfortunate situations.

• Hannah8 months agoReport

Thank you for the support. I dont think I will take the semester off but the staff have let me visit my parents whenever I ask to. And They didnt die so I am thankful for that.  

cry until you don't need to.... do not be concerned about what others think

On the rest, nobody here can guess whether you're not handling this stuff well or whether everyone around you is a jerk. I know part of how you feel, because my mom died unexpectedly the morning I was due to return to college for my junior year. It did mess with my head.

But nobody was insensitive to me, and that's why I wonder if there's something you're doing or saying that is putting people off without you even realizing it. It's just hard to believe there isn't even one person you can talk to. The other possibility is that everyone is so wrapped up in learning all the new stuff freshmen have to deal with,and they just don't have the time or energy to get to know someone who is (understandably) sad. Is it possible you expect too much?

PS - @lucy, will you please STFU? You think every question in here is a troll, yet this account is over a year old and has asked THREE questions. That's hardly a troll, "lucy". Stop speaking for the rest of us. How can anyone be tired of THREE questions? God, you're annoying.

• Hannah8 months agoReport

You made good points. I dont think I am asking for too much. I just want people to understand I am not all there. But it seems like my friends think it's weird that I dont feel like making jokes and laughing. Also thanks for standing up for me. It didn't hurt but I was kinda shocked.

Sorry, but something not quite right here. ''Just started freshman year''... and yet you claim that in that time, your parents had a serious car WRECK (thats how you spell it) and yet here we are, a few weeks later, and despite having 'nearly died' your father has 'learned to walk again'???? and then a FRIEND died, and you 'found out' in class??? really?? Sorry, you strike me as a fantasist, and an immature child. I think you have severe psychological problems, and people are bored bored bored of your constant attention seeking.

You are growing up and finding out that there are problems. Just go through the list and do what you can do for each and what is appropriate. And continue on with doing what you need to accomplish your goals. You have to accomplish your goals or you will be lost. It is not a clear, straight and easy path. When you look back at your life someday, you will think that a price was paid and you earned every bit of it.

maybe you should get some counseling, it might help you out

I don't want to resort to name calling, you got things that weigh heavy on your mind no doubt. Most will tell you that it happens often in life and you'd do yourself a service to learn to get better with it. You're a young guy so not a baby, you are just adjusting to being an adult is all.