Does berating a grad student in front of their peers constitute abuse? Does tearing down a student verbally in a paper constitute abuse? SOS?

There is no law against criticizing someone in public as long as the criticism does not include lies. Someone criticising or making another person look bad someone in public based on lies is or can be liable to be sued for defamation (not abuse).

No, it does not. A grad student ought to have the wherewithal to stand up for themselves, by the time they reach post-graduate age.

• curtisports2

It absolutely is. Someone that wants to use a tone of voice with me that I consider berating is going to get it right back. I don't care if it's a 'professor'. They are on notice that they will deal with me in a respectful manner

verbally in a paper

That is IMPOSSIBLE.

• Melanie10 months agoReport

Verbally OR in a paper. That said, it would be nice if you showed more sensitivity to the issue at hand. I am writing from a distraught frame of mind. Sorry if my English isn't good enough for you.

i think it is abuse too

I suppose it depends what it is they say. In your case, I wouldn't call the humiliation abuse per se. You've reported the incident so hopefully something will be said to them, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Some people in "authority" thrive on being mean, I've experienced it myself as a mature age person. If a teacher tries that on me again, I'll humiliate them in front of everyone.

• Melanie10 months agoReport

Thanks. Yes I have been documenting all the abuses as well as the ones my cohorts complained about. I didn't get the satisfaction I wanted with the school and am forwarding to an attorney and the licensing board.

Berating for example: "I TOLD you not to pass those out until I SAID so!" Then pulls the papers out of the all the students hands. Everyone went quiet. One student commented to me personally, "there was nothing timed in that paper to require it be passed out any specific time." I reported the professor as did the class, and I was assigned to another mentor. But abuse has continued like this by other professors.

• Melanie10 months agoReport

new mentor went off on me about an email comment I made that was notwhat he assumed it to be. I simply commented that I hoped he would be able to get back to me soon and that I knew he was busy. He started huffing off saying, THATS NOT GOING TO WORK. Refrain from making comments like that again!"