Social Etiquette question.....when having dinner friends.....does the cellphone go on the left or the right of the plate?

Holy cow..........hot topic! This is the most answers I've gotten in over a year!

Thanks to all who answered........wish I could you all best answer. !

YES, the question was tongue in cheek...........after sitting thru another dinner with friends, where no one spoke to each other, and everyone was fiddling with their phones and sharing videoes and swapping meme's....and texting each other, across the table. Honestly, I don't know why I bother anymore. I am the only one at the table without a phone.

they don't go on the table at all----but you knew that...right????

I don't get why you would all get together and then sit on the phone with other people who weren't invited???

• Weasel McWeasel

Yes, Kate..........precisely my point. Of COURSE *I* know that.........now would you please explain that to my cellphone addicted Italian friends. Apparently phones are now as essential as the cutlery.

the left side since people use more cutlery on the right and food particles, spills, stains and debris often fall on the same side than on the left which is cleaner.

The cellphone goes wherever you want it to go

• GEEGEE

unless you are expecting an urgent call or text, they belong in a coat pocket or purse, and not on the table.

You have made a mistake with the way you asked your question.

The question should be, which pocket should your cell phone go in.

Only idiots keep their phones out on a dining table during a meal, as one then risks the phone getting wet from a spilled drink or perhaps a dollop of mashed potatoes. LOL

I leave mine at home. Problem solved.

You ever put it down?

• Lita

The cellphone shouldn't be on the table at all. The cellphone should be put away.

it stays home so youre not getting calls when youre having dinner with friends

• Brian

They go in the kitchen drawer for the evening.

• Kyle

get a helmet with a handle so it's right in front of your face. that way you still have both hands available.

• Weasel McWeasel

I am surprised no one has invented that yet.