promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Consider the following sentence:

"After a few minutes of letting the food digest, a bracing

walk was taken. Judy, thinking she was still a puppy, ran free, yipping excitedly at every seagull

she saw, while I chased after her and my parents slowly BROUGHT UP THE REAR."

What does 'brought up the rear'?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

"After a few minutes of letting the food digest, a bracing walk was taken. (that's very strange use of English - people would normally say that they went for a bracing walk)

Judy, thinking she was still a puppy, ran free, yipping excitedly at every seagull she saw, while I chased after her

(that's all fine) and my parents slowly BROUGHT UP THE REAR." (to bring up the rear just means that they were walking behind the rest of the group.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • John P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

After letting our meal settle for a few minutes, we set out on a bracing walk. Our dog Judy likes to think that she is still a puppy, so she yapped excitedly at every seagull she saw. I chased after her, and my parents came along slowly after us.

Note "yapping" - in Britain I never come across "yipping" , but it might be an American form.

Your style of writing sounds as if it comes from a book for British children written in the 1930s - charming but rather old-fashioned in style. Even my way of telling that story feels slightly old-fashioned!

I might guess that your teacher is not a native speaker of British or American English.

• John P
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

In general, do not use the passive mode when telling a story - it feels impersonal. ("A walk was taken" is passive mode.)

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Q: What does "brought up the rear" MEAN?

A: Followed!

• 8 months ago

We don't need to 'consider' the sentence if all you need to know is what 'her parents brought up the rear' means.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

It means they came last in the parade. It was originally a military idiom.

• Jay R
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They were in the back of the group.

• 8 months ago

Why does it have to be native speakers? Its not like they know the answer. I'm not a native English speaker but this question seems stupid. Just asking "What does 'brought up to the rear' mean?" Is good enough.

• 8 months ago

They were walking behind.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.