Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Consider the following sentence:

"After a few minutes of letting the food digest, a bracing

walk was taken. Judy, thinking she was still a puppy, ran free, yipping excitedly at every seagull

she saw, while I chased after her and my parents slowly BROUGHT UP THE REAR."

What does 'brought up the rear'?

• Cogito

"After a few minutes of letting the food digest, a bracing walk was taken. (that's very strange use of English - people would normally say that they went for a bracing walk)

Judy, thinking she was still a puppy, ran free, yipping excitedly at every seagull she saw, while I chased after her

(that's all fine) and my parents slowly BROUGHT UP THE REAR." (to bring up the rear just means that they were walking behind the rest of the group.

• John P

After letting our meal settle for a few minutes, we set out on a bracing walk. Our dog Judy likes to think that she is still a puppy, so she yapped excitedly at every seagull she saw. I chased after her, and my parents came along slowly after us.

Note "yapping" - in Britain I never come across "yipping" , but it might be an American form.

Your style of writing sounds as if it comes from a book for British children written in the 1930s - charming but rather old-fashioned in style. Even my way of telling that story feels slightly old-fashioned!

I might guess that your teacher is not a native speaker of British or American English.

• John P

In general, do not use the passive mode when telling a story - it feels impersonal. ("A walk was taken" is passive mode.)

Q: What does "brought up the rear" MEAN?

A: Followed!

We don't need to 'consider' the sentence if all you need to know is what 'her parents brought up the rear' means.

It means they came last in the parade. It was originally a military idiom.

• Jay R

They were in the back of the group.

Why does it have to be native speakers? Its not like they know the answer. I'm not a native English speaker but this question seems stupid. Just asking "What does 'brought up to the rear' mean?" Is good enough.

They were walking behind.