Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 10 months ago

My mom thinks im not getting enough protein?

She is overweight. I get more protein than her. I'm skinny and she thinks it's not normal. She saw me wearing two baggy pants that have always been baggy every since I've gotten them and assumes it's because I don't get enough protein. These accusations have started since I've become a vegetarian last month. I've told her I'm eating more protein than her, and she still doesn't believe me. She's thinking about getting me vitamins or having me see some sort of nutritionist. How do I get her off my case?

Favorite Answer

See a nutritionist. Only thing they can do is evaluate your diet and tell your mom shes wrong, or give you tips on how to improve your diet so you can be vegetarian in a healthy way. Either way you win so just go

• denise

Well, you can get protein from other food sources besides meat.

If you saw a dietician or nutritionist by your own decision, there may be something that you can learn / gain from it, Also it could put your mums & your mind at rest.

There's nothing wrong with taking vitamins, they never hurt anyone. Nutritionists are mostly bags of hot air... their educations leave a lot to be desired.

And does your mom think you're too thin because you're not getting enough protein? I don't really understand what you're getting at, but too much protein can cause weight gain for some people.

Your mother is overweight probably because she eats a high carb diet with a lot of empty calories/sugars. This is how people get fat. The good old American diet.

If you're feeling good about your weight, then I don't see why you have to sit around worrying about a pair of baggy pants.

take care!

• GEEGEE

Seeing a nutritionalist isn't a bad idea. Most people, even healthy fit ones can benefit from some dietary tweeking.

How old are you? Growing children should not be vegetarians or vegans. You need protein to grow properly. If you insist on being vegetarian, eat more nuts. Eat cheese as well. They have lots of proteins.

"My mom thinks im not getting enough protein?"

Your mom may well be wrong, about whether you're getting enough protein. However the self declared has declared science as wrong where nutrition and protein is concerned. In fact they think that they can shame any nutritional scientist in overall knowledge, and any nutritional researcher that says otherwise, is wrong because they say so. Plant based foods can in fact meet all of the protein needs a person has. This has been backed by nutritional research that predates PETA, by about seventy years and even veganism by more than fourty years.

As someone whose diet does have meat in it, I will take science what science says over those who prefer to use incomplete science. There are nine essential amino acids that are required to make what we know as a complete protein chain. However those amino acids don't have to be singular dietary based. They can some from a multitude of sources. Also science has shown, that the body will often breakdown what's known as complete protein, and store it in the forms of the nine essential amino acids, and will make whatever protein chain is needed, for whatever specific protein need the body has.

What I use as sources for nutrition, comes from the top research facilities, and will disagree with what some vegans, some vegetarians, and especially PETA puts out. I do NOT cherry pick data, as some do, and love to do, to back their beliefs. I am NOT a dietitian, nutritionist, or any other type of medical professional. Nor am I as some that like myself whose diet does have meant and other animal based foods in it, a self declared expert or guru, on diet and nutrition.The truth is there aren't any in here that qualify as such, although there are some would have one believe otherwise.A few of us though has actual knowledge of nutrition, and whether we eat meat or not, becomes irrelevant, as we'll prefer facts over supposition, and personal biased opinion.

The advice of talking with a nutritionist is the best given though. However it should be from someone that's actually a licensed medical dietitian. Yes doctors can be helpful, but usually most has no more than one or two semesters of nutrition behind them. A few however will take a few more semesters to be more knowledgeable about nutrition. A good nutritionist will also want to see a food log or food diary, of what you've eaten, to assess, where and what shortfalls you have, and then advise you on what you need to do to correct those shortfalls.

Start eating meat like a normal healthy person.

Eating more protien than her does NOT mean you are getting enough protien. You are still growing and developing, she isnt.

There is also a difference between complete protien and incomplete protien.

The protien from vegetation also does NOT break down as easily as protien from animal sources.

Why not eat nuts? They are plant products that are loaded with protein.

The doctor or nutritionist is going to give an unbiased opinion about your weight/diet. Why not just do it?

Get her to take you to the doctors for a physical. The doctor will tell you if you're fine or not.

• Al10 months agoReport

Most (almost all) doctors have little to no education in nutrition actually. Many get about 9-10 hours of it in total through 4-5 years of college.
      A nutritionist would actually make more sense but one that isn't biased and thinks their own animal protein diet is somehow the best/better diet.