Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

How to get revenge on my abusive, short-tempered, dad?

He yells. For example, he yells at my mother about rotten fruit, and that's not her fault. He also is abusive to our dog. Cat. And he's said horrible things behind our backs. He still my mother's meds. (She's got back problems.) And my dad has nothing wrong with him. And he orders meds that are 50 dollars. He's Held me up by my arm swearing at me. I was half sat down. And he lied to my mother when he did that, and he's did more but it's to much to type. Pls answer asap. And he also yells at us for no reason

I would worry less about lowering myself to his level and more about keeping my mother safe. SHE needs to report your dad's behavior to the authorities. You are being abused and your mother just stands and watches? Maybe she doesn't care if he abuses her; she should care if he abuses you.

You can also notify child protective services.

Trying to "get revenge" will make things worse.

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc.

Bullies want attention, and my general feelings are that if people allow them to get their way through fear (the ultimate emotional reaction) they are succeeding and will continue. One way to combat verbal bullying is not to ignore them completely as this shows that they are getting to you, but demonstrate that you have heard the remark or whatever with a glance, dismissive wave or brief response ("oh yes", or similar) and THEN ignore them. Why should you care what such a pathetic person thinks of you? (Only weak and needy people feel a need to bully). Alternatively, or in addition, try to use some humour (U.K. spellings!). It need not be mocking humour, but some light-hearted banter can often diffuse situations.

Put on an imaginary suit of golden armour, and visualise the unkind remarks (or those you perceive to be unkind - be very careful not to imagine a slight when none is intended) as arrows, harmlessly bouncing off your armour and falling to the ground.

If the abuse is physical, you could join a martial arts or self defence class. Or even check out some moves on Youtube. Learn to defend yourself without retaliating.

if hes being abusive call cps

• Elle

What if your dad was your next door neighbor treating your family bad? What would you do?

This was my story 60 years ago. I don't want to start listing everything I endured. For me, the turning point was when I called 911 and the police came and took him to jail. I turned to mom and said "either you divorce him or I leave cuz I'm not spending any more time in this house".

You're the only one to make that 911 call. Yes, it is scary, but so is your dad. DO IT...

Are you a minor? If so you shouldn’t be forced to stay in this environment. You should talk to your mom about getting out. If you’re not a minor, I’d still recommend to your mom that she should leave him. Try stealing back the meds. Maybe contacting authorities that he’s abusing pills that aren’t his and pressing charges for assault isn't the worst idea. Also, if you can afford it, move out!

I have an idea. Leave.  Make him stop paying your way. That will teach him good.