Alex asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 months ago

Why does sexual encounters among children sometimes cause trauma?

So I have recently had a situation arise with someone very close to me (let s say Sam for clarity) revealing something in their past. Another girl (same age) about 5-9 would touch her. It seems as if the other girl discovered that it felt good and would show sam and sam liked it to but knew it was wrong. It recently surfaced and I dont quite understand why that would traumatize you years later as a adult. I m very emotionally connected to sam and love her very much so I dont need to here any outrage bullsh*t from people. I am trying to open a honest discussion so I can (and hopefully others) can understand. There is no information and honestly I domt know how many people really thought about this or just don t ask because of taboo... this obviously doesnt include pedos and situations where you dont want to do it and are forced (that s would fall under rape more)

Also if your comfortable any info on the affect you have now because of it, or any consequences experienced would help the discussion.

Plz be respectful to everyone it s a sensitive subject.

What you describe is typical childhood behavior of "playing doctor" and is perfectly innocent. In most cases, a child that young doesn't even know what sex is! Sure, they find some things feel good, but that is not sexual.

As you say, it's not normal for such a thing to result in trauma later. What I suspect must have happened is that one the parents involved found out and freaked out and went ballistic, not only on their own daughter, but the playmate as well. So, it's not the event that upset the girl but the adult's reaction to it.