Do you explain every sentence to yourself when you read or you just know what it means?

You gradually work your way up to "just knowing what it means." You should always be reading at a level that is slightly above your comprehension, so that you have to stop and think a bit to understand it. Once you can read comfortably at that level, you move up to another level where you will have to stretch your mind again, and keep on doing that. A good librarian can help you choose books that are interesting and motivating to you.

Source(s): Reading specialist

No, I never know what it means until I ask myself to explain it to me. Good thing I have myself around for such situations.

Reading is a skill. Like any skill, with practice it becomes natural, effortless. Of course, anyone reading things written in difficult language, like Shakespeare, might take longer and need to think about the meaning of each sentence.

• Leomin

Nobody knows everything. Sometimes you have to decipher what you read.