is it safe to can homemade chicken and rice soup using a pressure canner for canning?

yes you can do it easily, I think, but more careful is needed.

• Janet

No. You need a pressure canner, or you risk fatal poisoning from botulism.

Yes, if you know what you are doing. Many states have "home extension agents" or others who are adjunct to land grant colleges. These experts teach proper food preservation techniques. In some areas, there are state or city facilities that guide homemakers through the canning process. This is true in my state (Florida).

yeppers--as long as you get the time right and make sure you sanitize your jars.

• Marduk

The SALT is not worth it and I am not Food Police brainwashed either. You need a ton of SALT and even I think it is too much. Freeze it.

Why not? I used to can chicken-noodle soup. Now, I just can the broth and chicken meat separately; it doesn't take long to throw the soup together, with some vegetables. Rice, taking longer to cook, would be better canned with the broth, meat, and vegetables.

I'm sure you could can the rice soup, but a chicken would need to be dismembered and minced before it could be canned.