promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is it safe to can homemade chicken and rice soup using a pressure canner for canning?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

yes you can do it easily, I think, but more careful is needed.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

No. You need a pressure canner, or you risk fatal poisoning from botulism.

• 9 months ago

Yes, if you know what you are doing. Many states have "home extension agents" or others who are adjunct to land grant colleges. These experts teach proper food preservation techniques. In some areas, there are state or city facilities that guide homemakers through the canning process. This is true in my state (Florida).

• 9 months ago

yeppers--as long as you get the time right and make sure you sanitize your jars.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marduk
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The SALT is not worth it and I am not Food Police brainwashed either. You need a ton of SALT and even I think it is too much. Freeze it.

• 9 months ago

Why not? I used to can chicken-noodle soup. Now, I just can the broth and chicken meat separately; it doesn't take long to throw the soup together, with some vegetables. Rice, taking longer to cook, would be better canned with the broth, meat, and vegetables.

• 9 months ago

I'm sure you could can the rice soup, but a chicken would need to be dismembered and minced before it could be canned.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.