Should I double major? Or what should I do?

Hello,

I am currently a Music Education major in my first semester of college. One thing that is currently terrifying me is the job market, there doesn’t seem to be a very high demand for music teachers here in Iowa. I am doing something to make me more competitive in the job market such as getting my coaching endorsement, considering getting my masters, etc. But I was wondering if it would be worth it to double major in another education subject such as history as something to fall back on. Or is that even possible? Thanks!

• MS

Having a second certification in addition to music will definitely make you more marketable. Math, science, and special education are in particular demand around the country. Having a certificate in one of those areas will give you a major leg up. But any additional certifications that you receive will definitely help.

• Lili

If teaching is what you'd really like to do, then yes, double-major with the second subject being something you could teach on the middle-school/high school level. It's true that music and other arts programs have been cut back a great deal in public school systems, but history and English teachers will always be needed.

Make sure your university will prepare you to receive teaching certification in whatever you choose to study.

I might point out that you don't have to stay in the state in which you grew up or attended college.

You need to speak with your academic advisor and look up major requirements for your specific university.  Doing a double major can be fairly straightforward -- particularly if there are classes that can be used for both majors.  It is likely that it might take you extra time to complete the double (given student teaching, etc.) but the sooner you start down that path the less difficult it will be.

If you want to teach in a public school, then having the ability to teach something other than music might be a good idea.  If you don't really want to teach middle school social studies or algebra, then you need to consider what it is you are willing to do.

If your Double majoring it depends in the combination you choose

If you are concerned of the job market and demand for that job career than if I were you I would do neither of those majors as there is no demand in the job market for them very few positions and chances of getting job in that out of school are very low

Following your dreams and passion is one thing but you gotta be practical and realistic too

At your age people don’t really think that far ahead or think practically and realistically

Are you rich and come from a rich family that can support you comfortably while you wait through years of unemployment that’s the reality we would be looking at if the answer is no then you should look for something more practical In terms of stability

If the answer is yes go for it