Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 8 months ago

should I buy my friend a new hairdryer?

My roommate let me borrow her hairdryer because i needed it to dry my hair one day. She mentioned as she was giving it to me that it was super old and not that powerful. While I was using it, it suddenly just started making a weird noise and now it won't really work. My other roommate was in my room at the time and can testify that I was just blowing air onto my hair normally, I didn't drop it or do anything weird to it.

Obviously I'm telling my other roommate that it doesn't work, but should I offer to repay her for it-- even if I didn't break it & it was already not the best?

• Tepee

It would be a good gesture to offer to replace it.

The only reason I can come up with why you'd offer a partial reimbursement is if you borrowed it fairly often. In that case, your use of it contributed to its sad demise.

If this was the 1st time, I don't know why it would even occur to you to buy her a new one!

• Diyah

I paid $18 for one at Walmart lol. Tell her you're $9 short to buy one and get half from her.

No. It wasn't your fault and she DID say she was giving it to you, so it was your property to do with as you chose.

• 💜

You’re not responsible for replacing her hair dryer that stopped working if you didn’t cause it to break. It would be a nice gesture to buy a new one for the house being that neither of you have one now.

Even she’d said it was old and not that powerful. Don’t toss it without her knowing it was done, so she can see for herself. She’d expected it, and you don’t owe her a replacement.