Anonymous

Would you accept this job offer? 2 other interviews?

I got an offer for a job but the offer seems a bit strange. It’s a full time contracted position. The contract is a 50 week contract and I am not paid for 2 weeks at Christmas. I will receive all health benefits and retirement benefits however, I do not receive/accrue any sick time or paid time off. I am not paid for any holidays for which the office is closed either. They want me to sign a contract from October - December. Then, in January I will sign a new contract (if they feel I’m a good fit) from January - the following December. When I asked the hiring manager if after a year I would accrue leave she said no this position does not offer any sick time or leave and that I would have to apply for a different position internally within the company for that.

This job is located 4 hours from where I currently live so I would have to relocate. She could not offer me any money towards relocation however I have been able to save some money as I knew eventually I would like to move to that area.

Does this sound worth it to you?

To relocate for this type of job?

Or should I stay where I am until I can find something that’s a better fit.

yes.........................

• Judy

no, not with a 3 month initial contract that required relocation. Good luck on the 2 other interviews.

The hourly pay is probably $5 or $8 per hour higher than it would be for a position that pays benefits. That is what companies do. So it is up to you if you want to finance your own time off for vacations and sick leave. One thing I learned as a manager is that most people think they are fools if they get sick leave and do not use it.

You haven't provided enough details to make a decision.

Are you in the USA? This answer is based on US employment law:

If so, is it an independent contractor contract or an employee contract?

If it is an independent contractor position, your housing and food costs will be at tax deduction, if you work less than 1 year for the same client. You would have no problem claiming housing & food costs in 2019. For 2020 you wouldn't be able to plan for these to be expenses because the contract term would put you over the 1 year limit. However if the contract ends prematurely (before Oct) the expenses would be a tax deduction.

If you are an IC, you would not be receive accrued time off, holiday pay, or overtime (if it's a non-exempt role).

If it's an employee position and you live in a state/regional area with a sick leave requirement, they would be required to allow you to accrue this time too. Vacation/personal/non-sick time off is not mandated in any region in the US.

Does the position pay more than a permanent position where time off would be covered due to the higher wages?

Note: to people who say that IC positions cannot provide benefits to ICs that is not accurate. That is incorrect. It is rare, but it it can be offered. It dates back to pre ACA when individuals may have had difficulties purchasing coverage. One of my clients offers health benefits to about 500 ICs.

• n2mama

Personally, I would not pay to relocate my family 4 hours away for a 3 month contract unless there were a ton of other opportunities in the new area. Otherwise you could end up unemployed at the start of the year in a new area that you paid to move to. If they aren’t paying relocation, I wouldn’t even consider it without a contract good through December 2020 at least. Otherwise it just wouldn’t be worth the risk for me.

• A.J.

How long have you been looking? What is your success rate of getting interviews fr jobs applied to? What is your experience and qualifications background? It the pay scale extra high? You need to evaluate this against other possibilities. Many years ago I turned down a job offer as a civilian job in the military and eventually joined IBM for a long worthwhile career. I don't like the sound of the job and would not move without better guarantees and some expense cash.

Where you live now, is there a better fit available? If so, why haven't you interviewed with them.

This is a temp/contract job. You are getting hung up on vacation

Jobs are sometimes hard to find. If you can find a better job, don't take this one.

in a heart beat