Should I throw my microwave out?

I was cooking something the other night, and smoke started coming out of the inside right side of the microwave. The microwave was pretty dirty, because I hadn’t cleaned it in a while. So this morning, I wiped it down with vinegar on the inside. I tried using it again, and I didn’t see anymore smoke. Should I risk continuing to use it, or should I throw it out?

• GibBas

It'll probably be fine. Next time you clean it put a bowl of water in it with a lemon that's been quartered in the water. Nuke it for about 10 minutes then wipe it down.

If it's no longer smoking then maybe all the crud which was laying inside was the problem? I wouldn't leave it plugged in though. It could be a fire hazard.

It's up to you whether you want to get a new microwave.

• mom

every time I use the microwave, I clean it for the next time. it may of been dirty that is why it was smoking. you could try it before you put it in the trash

you can take it to a mechanic, so that they can say what problem in it.

If it will still heat water, it's OK. If you had grease residue in your wave, the microwaves heated it to the smoke point, and could catch fire. Fat heats more quickly than most foods.

You spent all that time cleaning it, so why throw it out now?

• CB

Absolutely, I trade in my cars in when the ashtrays get full, I see no reason to not throw away a microwave that gets dirty.

Personally I wouldn't use it its relative cheap to replace.

It was probably all the dirt in the microwave started giving off vapors I don't think that you'll have any further problem a microwave contains a fusible link if there is an electrical problem inside the microwave the fusible link will blow and then you can throw the microwave in the garbage

It's probably OK. Perhaps you had so much gunk in the chamber that it overheated and exploded. One other possibility is that you had something metallic inside it.

• Kaz

I wouldn't chance it, I'd get rid of it. I've never heard of a microwave actually "smoking" that was due to cleanliness?