please put this in pet section. How do you remove algae from rocks in a fish tank?
is the liquid that claims to kill algae safe to use? I heard can kill the fish. Thank you.
- NathanLv 48 months agoFavourite answer
Remove all of the rocks and ornaments in your fish tank which have algae growing on them.
You want to take all of the aquarium ornaments and rocks and scrub the down with a brush under running hot water. Make sure that you have a small and stiff brush so that you can get all of the algae.
Use the brush and make sure that you get into all of the crevices and cracks of the ornaments and rocks. You want to remove as much algae from the decorations with the brush and hot water as you can.
If you cannot remove all of the algae simply by scrubbing it under hot water, you want to fill a large bucket with very hot water. You want to have a bucket big enough so you can completely submerge the ornaments and rocks.
Mix some good old bleach in with the water. You will want to add quite a bit of bleach, about half a cup of it for every gallon of water in the bucket.
Let all of the rocks and decorations soak in this bucket for anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes. This will help loosen all of the algae, plus it will kill off any remaining algae, thus stopping it from growing back.
After you have soaked the ornaments in the bleach water, use the brush and some warm running water to scrub them down again, once again making sure to get into all of the cracks and crevices.
Rinse all of the ornaments and rocks off under running cold water. Make sure to rinse them extremely well because you definitely do not want any algae getting into the fish tank. This would have disastrous consequences for all plants and fish in your aquarium.
- noselessmanLv 78 months ago
No it is not a god idea to use any chemical to kill algae. It is also not good to have a tank full of dead algae. Algae is a healthy live plant. Dead algae will create ammonia and raise nitrates.
Algae may be telling you that something in your tank is wrong. Maybe your tank is over stocked , over fed, or under filtered, or not being maintained properly in other ways. so check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, consider feeding less. and dont buy fish just to clean algae, because algae eating fish poop algae fertilizer.
remove, scrub, rinse in hot water.
- Jack HLv 78 months ago
Don't use chemicals. Either accept the algae as natural, remove, boil, scrub the rocks or use algae eating fish, be careful though some of them can grow quite large...
- MogLv 78 months ago
I was told to boil the rocks, rinse them, and thoroughly dry them before putting them back into the tank.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- 💜Lv 68 months ago
Get some of those algae eaters that slide around and eat the algae.