promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What should I do about this job?

I had my first interview for a job 7 weeks ago. I’ve had two interviews that I felt went well then didn’t hear back for awhile. But then I got a email my interviews went well and they are requesting a reference check. I submitted them and then didn’t hear back again it’s been 3 weeks. I’ve followed up twice and HR reported she’s waiting to hear back from the hiring manager. I’m trying to be patient but I can get a full time position at my old job because they have a opening and willing to take me back after I left to finish school. I emailed HR that I have another opportunity and I have to make a decision soon. It’s been two days and HR didn’t respond. I don’t want the other job to get filled while I’m waiting and end up not getting the other job but I really want this position that I’m waiting for and want to hear back from them first what should I do?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

    If you feel it’s a better option, you’ll have to put up with delay. I’d fear working for a company like this, because the lack of urgency in this case may be an indication of a greater problem. Try researching the company’s background, or go for the other job if you’re reluctant.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    I wouldn't wait any longer for them.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

    You told the company that you had a different position available, they didn't jump at you (although the HR personal might be off or very busy).

    You should take the fulltime position you have available because this one doesn't sound like it is going to happen. Maybe they aren't going to hire anyone.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • n2mama
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    This situation is difficult. Is the full time position at your old job a guaranteed offer? If it is, you could ask them when they need an answer from you by, then contact the other job and say “ I’m very interested in the opportunity here, but have another offer on the table, and need to let them know my decision.” If you aren’t comfortable with that, you could take the full time job at your old company and still wait and see what happens with the other one. If they come back to you with an offer in another few weeks, you could decide to take it, but know that you will be burning all bridges at your old company if you do that.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.