I really want to become a Police officer?

I really want to become a Police officer. I have wanted to become a Police officer since I was 6 years old; I am currently 23. I have been trying VERY HARD to get into Law Enforcement for the past 4 years.... However, I haven t had any luck in getting hired by a department ! When I apply to departments it takes months and months and months before I even hear from them; Most times I don t hear from the department I apply to AT ALL. This has made me very stressed and infuriated ! Everyday that I see the Police past by my house I get this hopeless, terrible, infuriated feeling in my soul........... This is how much I really want to become one; I envy Police officers/Patrol Deputies !!!!

Most Police officers I ve talked to have said that they love their Career.... They always say that it is a great feeling being in Law Enforcement, and a great Lifestyle.... Well, I WANT that feeling that they speak of; I want to be apart of The Law Enforcement Profession "Thin Blue Line"; I WANT this; I m not sure if me being a young black guy is the reason I m having a hard time getting hired or not........ Idk, just a thought though

Edit

Highly doubt it’s your color, bc each color or culture can be an asset in working w the community in law enforcement. Have you asked the officers you know about entry level positions within the station? Might be a good way to start, or they may have other suggestions. Ask if they can be used as a reference too, and edit your resume. Always helps to know someone. A red flag might be your statement of feeling infuriated by the rejection you’re feeling. Perhaps your personality was a turnoff if that was sensed, as extraordinary patience and problem solving is key in this profession.

• Shawn3 months agoReport

Currently I have a application in with my local department. It's a medium size department consisting of nearly 45 officers. They just got a new Chief, and are currently 15 officers short.... Alot of the officers have told me that I have a great chance this time

Most applicants are rejected after the personal background check. Pretty extensive and reveals a lot about the type of person they are. Most highly favor and prefer ex military. Any branch.

Well maybe you need to call them or talk to them after you apply.

Just like with any job, you have to show them that you really want it by keep reaching out to them after you apply. You talk to whoever is incharge of hiring.

Being a cop isn't an easy job to attain. They don't just let anyone be one. So here are some things you can do to increase your odds of landing a job as one.

1. This is the NUMBER ONE BEST thing you can do. So pay attention. The TOP thing you can do is go to the police academy BEFORE you apply for the police department. You can go to the police academy BEFORE you get hired.

2. You can get a college degree in either criminal justice or public administration

3. You can volunteer as a RESERVE/AUXILLERY police officer.

4. You can serve in the military

5. You can work as a security guard.

Hope this helps

• Bruce

Looking at your past questions, my guess is they are passing on you because they think your desire is excessive and unhealthy. You need to tone it down a bit. Quite a bit actually.

If you can't control your emotions over the application process, you certainly wouldn't be able to control your emotions on the job.

• `

It isn't a case of racial profiling. There were probably other applicants with more experience than you. I agree with the advice before me. Join the military.

If you are trying in a big city, you will have a harder time. It would be much easier to get in, in a small city or rural area. You might want to look into joining the military; that's where most got their start. But, if you have a medical condition or background problems, you'd be better off looking at another field.

The only people more eagerly recruited than minorities, such as blacks, are military veterans, especially those with military police experience. Perhaps you should join the military?

Are you a graduate of a police academy? Have you really thoroughly checked all requirements before you apply? Police & fire departments in many areas have been inundated with applicants, and it is not unusual to be put on a waiting list after passing academy, exams, health & fitness checks, etc. And then wait 3-4 years to be called regarding an opening. You might not be competitive, especially in cities, regions, where lots of people are applying to police depts.

• Shawn3 months agoReport

My local department is a small-medium size department consists of nearly 45 officers; I have one of the officers down as a reference this time. I'm in decent shape. My local department has a obstacle course, a written exam, and a panel interview. They do a 2 Day Background Check after the interview

Thare are police training courses at some colleges.

• Shawn3 months agoReport

Both of them are 5-6 hours away from where I live. I live in West Tennessee. The 2 self sponsored Police Academies are in East Tennessee

If you applied at a police academy and you were rejected, they must have given you some idea of the reason why. I don't think it's going to be because you are black, unless you are applying in West Virginia or somewhere that is hopelessly racist. Is there a height requirement? Some people can't get into the police force because they are too short... but you could get into forensics or something like that with the right skills.

• Shawn3 months agoReport

. I might have to go to a self sponsored Police Academy; There are only 2 in Tennessee. Both of them are in East Tennessee, which is 5-6 hours from where I live "West Tennessee"