Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

Noisy neighbours making me so anxious is it intentional?

Hi I’m 17 and i have mild autism so i tend to be more noise sensitive and i suffer with bad anxiety. Anyways i stay at my nans all the time and there’s a family that lives next door, a woman with 3 kids one is a boy that’s older like my age and the other 2 girls like 11 and 7. I swear I’m not exaggerating cause even my nan hears it too but mostly every morning at 7am i hear loud bangs, thump noises and it wakes me up especially weekends. It sounds like a force. It gives me immense anxiety, especially the boy he’s really noisy, he stomps around a lot and is really heavy. The reason im asking for advice here is cause at our previous home we had bad experience with a noisy neighbour that was mental so that’s why i had to go to my nans temporary until my mum and i find another place it really affected my mental health and even though their not as bad as them they can still be loud. I feel tormented like i go to my nans and her neighbours are also noisy as well makes me feel depressed. I don’t think her neighbours are nice people saying that though so yeah, im getting bad anxiety again any advice on how to cope with this situation?

• audrey
    Favorite Answer

See a therapist to learn how to deal with noise. Noise is gonna be in your world the rest of your life. For now, get earplugs. Some GOOD ones, not cheap junk.

• k w

no, not likely intentional, just careless, it's the way they live, not thinking of others, AND you are likely hypersensitive to noise as well.....instead of listening to all that racket, why not turn on a fan and keep it near you, not blowing on you but the fans blades turning will also make a whirring sound and can mask outside noise so you would hear it less !

If the noise level is after appropriate hours, say 9:00 pm, you’re entitled to file a complaint w your local police dept to look into. Otherwise, at 7:00 am, and especially since their activity is predictable, find a diversion while it’s happening like either going for a walk, listening to music on headphones, showering, or whatever will help you move past the disruption. Difficult to keep them quiet, as any family with children is often loud.

• Tavy

Get over it, these people are living a normal life, kids will make a noise as you did when you were young. They are not doing it to annoy you, they most probably never think of who is next door.

It's impossible to be noise free even if you live in the countryside

Wear ear plugs or headphones.

UK.