Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 months ago

How to unclog my bathroom sink?

My bathroom sink has been clogged for a week. It will not drain at all- water just sits there. I tried drano, a snake, and baking soda and vinegar. Nothing works. The clog is deep down in the sink because the snake didn’t pull anything up. I’d prefer not to hire a plumber for financial reasons. Any suggestions??

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

disassemble the trap under the sink. modern plastic pieces do not need a pipe wrench.

if that does not resolve the issue, run the snake into the wall where the drain is and see if you can solve the problem that way.

should that fail, inject your drano directly into the plumbing at the wall [with a bucket underneath to catch excess. WAIT at least 30 minutes. then reassemble the drain piping and dump a tea kettle full of boiling water into the sink.

Should that not do the job, you'll have to call a plumber as the drain line beyond the vent has to be power snaked out [roto-rooter]

Source(s): grampa
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Plunger works very well

• 5 months ago

Take the trap (the U shaped pipe off) and try your snake toward the wall as there is a 90 degree bend there, or try compressed air from here.

• 5 months ago

You have exhausted your “homeowner do” options. Call a plumber. Or live with the full sink.

Forever.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

As you got water in the sink, you got to manually bail that out into the toilet to get the sink as dry as possible.

Open the vanity cabinet and look at the drain pipe. Coming straight down from the sink on the very first pipe connection is a big collar nut which you should be able to unloosen with your hand. Don't take it off yet but follow the drain pipe down and it goes into a U shape piece of pipe and then goes up and over or down and somewhere you will find another collar nut that you can loosen by hand Lefty loosee on both nuts. The section of pipe between the 2 nuts will hold the Pee trap. The Pee trap always holds about a cup of water. So now unloosen both collar nuts(some people may call it a sleeve nut...it is the same thing) I say collar as it reminds me of turtle neck sweater collars. If you got black plastic plumbing then the collars are also black plastic...on older metal plumbing usually it looks like a large nut, so you might need a pipe wrench to nudge it loose. the nut comes off WITH THE SECTION OF PIPE YOU ARE TAKING OUT. Now the pee trap is the perfect trap to find GOLD earrings and diamond rings that fell into the sink and down the drain. Gold is so heavy it stays at the low point. If you do not use a lot of water washing up then soap scum also sits there and gets hard. When you take the pipe off either take it onto the front lawn and use a garden waterhose with water pressure and a nozzle and blast the pipe clean on the lawn. (or you can do this in the bathtub but you stand the chance of plugging up the tub pee trap with that soap and dirt You want to blast that pipe clean on the inside. Now that is not the problem. In most sinks when you look down them there is a cross in the middle of the pipe to stop large pieces of soap or other stuff from falling in and plugging up the pipes. That cross should be chrome and easily seen. If something is there but you cannot see it clearly, then it is hair that has wrapped around the chrome arms. Usually the "+" is not that deep so you can touch it with a finger tip.. If so, use a fingertip to scratch along one length of the cross and then drag the finger nail up the wall of the pipe into the sink. You should pull out a gob of hair combined with soap and toothpaste and mouthwash like a jell.. That you put in the trash. Now scratch along the other post of the cross and pull up some more hair gumbo...and dispose of that. When you look down the drain you should see a chrome cross That jell was blocking it up too because you are not using enough water after washing to wash out the pipes. Reinstall the now cleaned out P trap and just hand tighten the collar nuts. Now run water. It should work properly.

So somewhere in there you will need to catch the remaining water in the sink to stop it from getting everything else wet. Use common sense and a big bucket.

I can't remember everything. You don't need chemicals at all. You physically removed the blockage.

• 5 months ago

Airmatthewdavies gave a good answer.

I will add that the baking soda vinegar method ONLY works to clear slow drains. It NEVER works for blocked drains. The reaction can't get to the blockage if the drain is totally blocked.

• 5 months ago

You can either get a bucket and take the plastic p-trap off the sink from the bottom which is not hard. And get the clog out it's either lodged in the plastic p-trap or it's where it goes into the wall. At any rate it will give you a chance to drain out the water and the Drano and replace the p-trap. Then you go to the plumbing supply store and get liquid fire. Concentrated sulfuric acid drain cleaner Drano is baby piss! Get yourself a half a gallon of it it's going to cost you $35. Put yourself on a plastic rain suit and put eye protection on before you deal with this stuff. Pour a half a cup of the stuff down the drain and stand back. you had Drano in there it's going to cause a bit of a reaction. Make sure you're using good ventilation. After the acid neutralizes that Draino you can go ahead and pour a pint of it down. Wait 10 minutes and follow it with a quart. No clog on Earth Will survive concentrated sulfuric acid it works every time.

• 5 months ago

If you ran a snake through the P trap, and got nothing, then the blockage is further down the pipes. You may indeed need a plumber. Sorry.

• 5 months ago

Assuming you may have tried a plunger. This often works bc the pressure than dislodge whatever’s blocking the drain. Other than that, you could shut the water source off, and try detaching the elbow to see if you can grab the obstruction.

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Pull your garden hose through the window, put it into your drain. Wrap towels around the hose, creating pressure. Have someone turn the hose on full blast, while you keep pressure on the hose, wrapped in towels. It should blow the clog clear. If not, you may need a plumber.

• ...Show all comments
    • Dv8s
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I've seen it work in a sink, but if you know a better way, by all means, do that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.