Saw asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 8 months ago

What do you know about colonoscopy?

Doctor suggested me one. But I declined it because I am afraid its gonna be painful.

• JonZ

It is not painful. They sedate you before they do the procedure. You won't feel a thing! The most uncomfortable part is the Prep you must do the night before to "clean out" your bowels, but there is no pain involved.

You are asleep when it happens. I didn't feel a thing.

The prep beforehand is time consuming and uncomfortable, not the procedure itself. You’re clearing your intestines prior, with a strong laxative and often 2 qts of an electrolyte while fasting for a day. You’re limited to clear liquids or jello, and as the laxatives kick in, you’re spending a lot of time defecating. A mild anesthetic is given, and it’s over before you know it.

I know only from having had one. The only "bad" part is the purging of the colon prior to the procedure. You have to take a mixture that causes you to dump the contents of your bowels and go without food for 24 hours. There is time spent on the toilet with the runs, basically, until there is no more to dump. It is not painful at all. It is annoying, having to fast for a day and having to be near a toilet for a day (because just in case I gotta go).

The process itself is nothing. They give you an anesthetic. One moment you are talking to them, the next (as far as you know) they have finished and it is time to go. No pain at all. Zero, zilch. Just a blank spot in your memory. Easiest thing in the world.

• Gert

You are sedated, you won't feel a thing. Easy-peasy.

• Tavy

You will be given a light sedation and a painkiller. You won't feel anything. I have had it done.