Am I degrading as an author? HELP?

So last year I started working on this novel idea I had in mind. I wrote one fourth of it then school started and I had to stop. Now I’m working on it again, except everything I write seems like trash. I already have a detailed outline and a long synopsis, so it’s not like I don’t where I’m going with this. In fact, I know exactly how everything pans out. It’s just that when I look at my earlier chapters I think wow, they’re brilliant and now I feel like I’ve lost that spark. Is it normal? Will I like my newer pieces more after I give them some time too, or have I degraded as an author and lost my talent? HELP

Leaving a work fallow for a time, then going back and re reading it, usually spawns several areas that could be better, enhanced, corrected, improved. Which is why it is usually done. Standard stuff, nothing new here, move along.

• Marli

It's like getting your strength back after an illness. It takes time and daily exercise, and your story will not be quite the story you envisioned when you started it. Keep writing. You have the freedom to improve your first draft after you finish it. Besides, you have an outline and a synopsis and you are one-quarter into your story. That's an advantage over not knowing where your story is supposed to go.

It's just a little tough on the writing muscles, getting them toned.

• Amber

This is perfectly normal and very common in all creative people, not just writers. The more you experience it, the more you'll learn how to work around it.

Ansgt is completely normal for a writer.

But it seems to me that your problem is that you stopped. Writing is a craft like any other. It's not magic - you have to work at it. If you stop for long periods you lose your touch.

So: make a promise to yourself to write for two hours a day EVERY SINGLE DAY. No excuses, no exceptions. If tragedy strikes, write about how it makes you feel. School (or work) is definitely not a valid excuse not to keep writing.

Keep this up for six months. If you have any talent at all, it'll start coming easier.

Perfectly normal, you've hit the wall, and from the sound of it, pretty much the same place that most writers hit it.

Just like with running a marathon (not that I've ever tried that), you need to push past it. Remember, everything can be fixed later..

While you’re waiting for the writer’s blank to leave, be sure to proofread and check grammar. And yes, it’s common among writers.

• David

This is all normal for writers. Keep at it. Write what wants to be written for now and get a first draft out. Don't worry about quality, all first drafts are supposed to suck.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. We can't possibly know any better than you do yourself. The only way to find out is to keep writing and see if the 'flow' and 'sparkle' come back - or not.

Please don’t panic about situations like these! I have older stories that I tried to rewrite but I just didn’t have the spark for at first, don’t give up, I promise you that the spark will come back and that this is normal.

Some writers call it writers block, where you become uninspired to write anymore, but it doesn’t sound like you’re going through writers block. You will start getting back into the flow of this story, it just takes a little bit of time, you haven’t lost your talent and you haven’t degraded.

You will gain your spark back